Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Basic query

Does iCloud Drive still duplicate stuff on your hard drive and take up extra space?

In other words, if I have a 100GB folder of photos in the Pictures folder on my Mac, and I then back that up to iCloud Drive, do I lose an ADDITIONAL 100GB space because it duplicates the folder in the Library folder?

Pretty sure it used to do that years ago but wondering if it's changed or if there are ways around it?

Thanks for any advice.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), null

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 7:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 1:44 PM

You are welcome. Optimization does only take place when your mac needs space.

I think the way things are supposed to work is your original copy on the computer is moved to the Library. You access the file via iCloud Drive.

7 replies

Nov 11, 2017 5:50 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric.

Optimising only seems to come into effect when you need space on your Mac.

It does seem like a really weird idea.... backing up a folder on your hard drive - that's already ON your hard drive! Why put a copy in the Library? Not doing any good either..... if your drive fails you lose both copies.

Oh well sure there must be a reason for it but it beats me.

Nov 13, 2017 4:55 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric

So, today I moved a big folder from one place to iCloud Drive in the Finder sidebar.

And it moved! In other words the folder left the location (pictures) and ended up in the iCloud. On my computer the folder has gone to my Library / Mobile Documents.

I was so sure last time I tried it was copying, not moving. Maybe I was pressing the key combination for copy? Who knows! 😊

That at least makes it a more workable option. Yes, it will be a bit awkward working from photos etc. in the file in the library instead of in plain sight, but at least it's not gobbling up disc space like crazy.

Thanks!

Basic query

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.