Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won’t my iPhone X make calls on apps?

iPhone: X 256GB

Version: 11.1.1

So I got the phone x on launch day and everything has been smooth so far until I tried video calling friends. I normally use WhatsApp messenger and Skype for those; of course FaceTime too with friends that have an iOS device. However, when I try to make a video call, or an audio call (WhatsApp, Duo, Skype, Viber, Hangouts) it always fails; this is the same for all apps. I click on video call and it just freezes and after a few seconds says “Call failed”. If I receive a call on any of those apps, same thing happens when I tap to answer. I reached out to Apple on chat and it basically came to a conclusion that it’s not my iPhone (since FaceTime and iMessage work just fine) and that’s it’s the 3rd party app issue. I’m thinking, there can’t be an issue with every app I’ve used? Is it some sort of a compatibility issue where each of them need to come out with an update or? This has been going on since day one. Never in my 7 plus phone. Anyone else experiencing this? Any help, advice, input, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Edit: I couldn’t find a discussion topic that relates to this so I chose this.

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 7:48 AM

7 replies

Nov 11, 2017 9:23 AM in response to Zrenjaninac

If this is happening on a particular router there is likely a problem in communicating that is causing the calls to fail.

Try resetting network settings and if that does not help, reset the router. If the problem continues to exist, see if there is a firmware update for the router.

If this is happening regardless of the network you are on, try a forced restart of the phone and, if necessary, a restore via iTunes.

After that, contact Apple Support for assistance.

Nov 11, 2017 10:26 AM in response to madra31

I have contacted Apple and Tata what they told me (original post). I had an internet technician come in and I got a new modem and everything was set up perfectly. My internet is fine (just restarted it too) and I am not connected to the router I have, only a few devices upstairs are. Directly connected to my modem’s wifi. Definitely not the internet as I never had this issue with the previous phones. Also worth mentioning is that even when I turn off my wifi and switch to my mobile network, it STILL does the same so I’m convinced it’s not internet related. If I was to do a full restore, do I restore from a backup? Definitely wouldn’t want to lose any data.

Thanks.

Nov 11, 2017 3:39 PM in response to Zrenjaninac

Ok. It if is also happening on cellular then it most likely is a software issue on the phone itself.

Do a backup first before the restore and you will not lose any data.

If the restore does not fix it, you should take it to the Genius Bar for evaluation as it is unlikely that even a device firmware update would prove to be a solution in that case.

Nov 11, 2017 3:38 PM in response to madra31

Hi,

So here’s what happened...

I ended up restoring the phone through iTunes and set it up as a new phone. Put my Apple ID in and only downloaded WhatsApp to try and see if it fixed the issue. It did. Now that I put my backup (iCloud) back on my phone, it’s doing the same thing. How can I figure out what’s causing the problem? Thank you.

Nov 11, 2017 4:19 PM in response to Zrenjaninac

If you restored to your backup and the problem returned, then there is corrupt data in your backup. As far as being able to identify the issue, that is very difficult. You can restore to factory and set up as new again, and then add your data back manually, not using your backup. You can download apps directly from the App Store, and your music, can be synced from iTunes, without using your backup.

Nov 12, 2017 7:22 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thought so. Well, I managed to manually get my contacts back through iTunes as I backed up on there. I guess the contacts doesn’t have a corrupted file. Is there a way to add apps back through iTunes without the backup file? Sort of like how I did with the contacts?

Ps. My photos are back too somehow. Maybe there is a way to get the apps (mostly because of the sensitive data I’ve saved and accounts I have with Touch ID and Face ID).

Why won’t my iPhone X make calls on apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.