Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to get IOS devises to connet (Wi-Fi) to my airport/timecapsule

I'm unable to get my iPhones, iPads, iPods and game systems to connect to my Time Capsule, I came home yesterday and found I was not connected to the internet using my Time Capsule, so I unplugged my TC and my service providers modem, waited and plugged back in, after this I was getting a few different messages when looking at it with the Airport Utility, one about the DNS server and the I.P. addy, but these notes went away, I did a hard reset today and still no internet for my IOS stuff. I can connect my MacBook Pro and iMacs to the internet, but not my IOS devises?, anybody have any ideals?, I might take it to the local apple store but I've got bad info there before so I'm hesitant to ask for there help.

Thanks for your time

-S

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 1:04 PM

Power off the modem/router, and leave it off for at least an hour. Longer would be better.

Power off the TC as well and leave it off.

Then, power up the modem/router and let it run for 5-10 minutes by itself

Then, power up the TC and try things out again

This simple reset might clear out the DHCP "memory" on the modem/router, so it will provide up to 5-6 new fresh connections.....which is the normal setup that most ISPs use on the modem/routers that they provide.

If that still won't work, then my suggestion would be to have the modem/router provide only one IP address to the TC, and then set up the TC to provide as many connections as you want. This is the setup that Apple Support will want you to use if you call them.

Post back if you want to try this and need a few tips on the setup.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2017 1:04 PM in response to Skydiver21016

Power off the modem/router, and leave it off for at least an hour. Longer would be better.

Power off the TC as well and leave it off.

Then, power up the modem/router and let it run for 5-10 minutes by itself

Then, power up the TC and try things out again

This simple reset might clear out the DHCP "memory" on the modem/router, so it will provide up to 5-6 new fresh connections.....which is the normal setup that most ISPs use on the modem/routers that they provide.

If that still won't work, then my suggestion would be to have the modem/router provide only one IP address to the TC, and then set up the TC to provide as many connections as you want. This is the setup that Apple Support will want you to use if you call them.

Post back if you want to try this and need a few tips on the setup.

Nov 11, 2017 1:44 PM in response to Skydiver21016

Thanks for the info.

If your TC is indeed in Bridge Mode, then the TC is not providing IP addresses to your network devices. The Arris is doing that, and the TC acts as a "pass through" device to relay the connection info from the Arris router.

If you need confirmation on this, check the setting for Router Mode on the TC using AirPort Utility, and you will see that the actual setting is "Off (Bridge Mode)". The "Off" means that the routing function on the TC has been turned "Off". It can still provide WiFi service, but the actual IP addresses for each device must come from your Arris modem/router. This makes thing more complicated, with more chances of errors.

Do you know how many connections the Arris router has been set up to provide? We ask because most Internet Service Providers set up their modem/routers to only allow a few devices to connect.

If you can consider setting up the TC in a different way, the Arris will only have to provide one IP address to the TC, and the TC will provide IP addresses to all your other devices. You can set up the TC to provide up to 50 WiFi connections and 100+ wired connections. That way, you don't have to worry about the Arris running out of IP addresses....which it is likely doing now.

Nov 12, 2017 1:03 PM in response to Skydiver21016

Bob, I just got back on line, I did what you asked and nothing would connect this morning, but...my service provider said that it was there modem causing the problem, they did a factory reset and all is fine now, they said there was "an unusual configuration", my modem is on there watch list if it messes up they will take care of it immediately??? will see huh.

Thanks for your help, I'm sure you learned a little here like I did.

-S

Unable to get IOS devises to connet (Wi-Fi) to my airport/timecapsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.