Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seventh-generation quad-core Intel Core i5 processors

I have this processor and want to upgrade to Seventh-generation quad-core Intel Core i5 processor.

Is this possible and can I just bring my computer down to Apple to purchase and install?

User uploaded file

iMac (20-inch Early 2009), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 9:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 1:30 PM

Apple will not do it for you. Although it is supposedly possible to make the CPU change you must use one with the same pin arrangement as the socket on the motherboard. Then there would be the power increase and cooling demands. Disassembly is not easy and requires both knowledge and skill not to mention instructions (search for them on Google.) If you want the seventh gen. CPU then buy a new Mac. You may get enough money selling your old machine to pay the cost of buying the CPU.

Note that if you take the machine apart and make any unauthorized changes, Apple will not provide you with service should you need it. If you pursue your request be sure you know you are well-qualified to perform the work.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2017 1:30 PM in response to cccsilvia

Apple will not do it for you. Although it is supposedly possible to make the CPU change you must use one with the same pin arrangement as the socket on the motherboard. Then there would be the power increase and cooling demands. Disassembly is not easy and requires both knowledge and skill not to mention instructions (search for them on Google.) If you want the seventh gen. CPU then buy a new Mac. You may get enough money selling your old machine to pay the cost of buying the CPU.

Note that if you take the machine apart and make any unauthorized changes, Apple will not provide you with service should you need it. If you pursue your request be sure you know you are well-qualified to perform the work.

Seventh-generation quad-core Intel Core i5 processors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.