Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Future repairs of a MacBook Pro - is it even possible?

:-( I just dropped my Late 2008 MacBook Pro. It still boots but man is it ugly. I didn't want to replace it yet, I've done all the usual upgrades and it was a good road warrior machine.

So the question - Can I expect to get 9+ years of use from the new 2017 MacBook Pro 15" MPTR2LL/A or am I going to have a paperweight down the road because batteries die and the SSD wears out?

Thanks for your input!

OBS MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2008), iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 10:06 AM

10 replies

Nov 11, 2017 10:13 AM in response to JohnnyGTO1

t still boots but man is it ugly.

by ugly, do you meant the corners are crunched up, or that the screen is garbled? then former you can get used to -- the latter is unusable.

No one can predict how long a computer will last, because what often makes them obsolete in not Hardware failure, but creeping requirements. For example, weaknesses in security have made browsers older than a certain age unusable on today's internet -- because they cannot establish a secure connection, and everything is moving to secure connections.

Nov 11, 2017 10:25 AM in response to JohnnyGTO1

30 years in the hardware business I know its a crap shoot on electronic's lifespan. I guess my big concern is the SSD and its rather limited lifespan compared to a spindle drive. Has Apple posted the theoretical lifespan of its SSD?

As for the computer ugliness, it got smacked on the right rear, warped the metal around the power button and tweaked the hinges. If you have one of those newer side loading computer backpacks please remember to zip them closed. It didn't end well for me.

Nov 11, 2017 11:03 AM in response to Kappy

Careful reading of articles citing the early demise of SSD drives should be read with great skepticism. They often cite storage at temperatures much higher than room temperature without power for excessive amounts of time as possible killers.

Under normal conditions, SSD drives appear to far outlast the computers they are connected to.

Apple recently opted to solder the components of their latest SSD-equipped MacBook Pro directly to the board. This only works when the devices are VERY long-lasting.

Nov 11, 2017 11:11 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Actually, the SSDs are on edge-cards and socketed. However, some are using a proprietary edge-card pinout making them unreplaceable without an adapter. These are not universal adapters and also may prevent the card from being usable.

I don't want to be misunderstood. The above may not be true of all the Mac laptops but may well be the case for older machines that are using 2.5" notebook HDDs that can be easily replaced with SSDs using the same form factor.

As for newer models, I was able to replace the SSD in my 2015 MacBook. No adapter even needed. If I remember correctly, the stock SSD was a Samsung.

Future repairs of a MacBook Pro - is it even possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.