Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 11.1.1

When I try to use certain emojis(mermaid/man) after updating to iOS 11.1.1 there person receiving the text gets the boxes with question marks. I thought 11.1.1 was supposed to fix these problems.

See below

User uploaded file

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 10:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 6:51 PM

The other person's iPhone displays these characters correctly or incorrectly based on whether or not they have the display bug on their iPhone, not based on whether or not you have the display bug on yours. My guess is the other person needs to update iOS on their iPhone.

7 replies

Nov 11, 2017 8:47 PM in response to Samcro13

Samcro13 wrote:

When I try to use certain emojis(mermaid/man) after updating to iOS 11.1.1 there person receiving the text gets the boxes with question marks.

Actually iOS 11.1.1 has nothing to do with what your picture shows. It concerns a bug that occurs when you type the letter "I". The question marks in your picture indicate that the device being used by the recipient does not have a font which supports the latest emoji characters (or for some reason the font is not working). It is something the recipient has to fix.

Nov 11, 2017 9:50 PM in response to fattyfei

My bad. I said display issue. Now I remember it's technically a keyboard autocorrect issue. But there's more to it. It's not just incorrectly autocorrecting some characters as you type. It's also autocorrecting them in messages you've received and are displaying in apps in which iOS keyboard is active e.g. Twitter, Messages et c.

Ref. "IPhone “I” Bug: IOS 11 keyboard glitch autocorrects “I” to “A?” and ”#?” — here’s the fix"

iOS 11.1.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.