Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I use the amp and cabinet simulations in Logic in real time?

I am wanting to use the amp and cabinet simulations in Logic ProX to record DI'ed guitars in real time, so that the guitarist hears the simulations as he plays.

Logic Pro X, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 5:45 PM

The only potential issue here is latency - how much can you/he tolerate?

For example, the recording path would look something like this:

Gtr -> Interface -> Computer -> Logic -> Amp-Sim

It also has to make the return path:

Amp-Sim-> Logic -> Computer -> Interface -> Speakers

This whole round trip is called 'latency', and it's usually measured in milliseconds, depending on how fast your interface is, and how small your audio buffer is. For example again: A thunderbolt interface is so fast, latency may be unnoticeable. On the other hand, a USB 2.0 interface may have considerably more latency.

How much latency is too much? Any time the latency affects the performance (i.e. hearing your guitar/vocal late), it's too much. Normally a few milliseconds is fine for most folks. Others will disagree (speed metal players?)

The 'solution' to the problem is direct monitoring. This basically happens inside your interface, and allows you to listen to a copy of an input on an output (like phones or speakers), without making the long trip:

-> Computer -> Logic -> Amp-Sim -> Logic -> Computer -> Interface -> Speakers

instead a 'direct monitor' configuration looks like this:

GTR -> Interface -> Phones/Speakers

The plus of direct monitoring? (nearly) no latency. The downside? It doesn't pass through your computer/DAW/Plug-In at all.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2017 5:45 PM in response to cranfrommeadows

The only potential issue here is latency - how much can you/he tolerate?

For example, the recording path would look something like this:

Gtr -> Interface -> Computer -> Logic -> Amp-Sim

It also has to make the return path:

Amp-Sim-> Logic -> Computer -> Interface -> Speakers

This whole round trip is called 'latency', and it's usually measured in milliseconds, depending on how fast your interface is, and how small your audio buffer is. For example again: A thunderbolt interface is so fast, latency may be unnoticeable. On the other hand, a USB 2.0 interface may have considerably more latency.

How much latency is too much? Any time the latency affects the performance (i.e. hearing your guitar/vocal late), it's too much. Normally a few milliseconds is fine for most folks. Others will disagree (speed metal players?)

The 'solution' to the problem is direct monitoring. This basically happens inside your interface, and allows you to listen to a copy of an input on an output (like phones or speakers), without making the long trip:

-> Computer -> Logic -> Amp-Sim -> Logic -> Computer -> Interface -> Speakers

instead a 'direct monitor' configuration looks like this:

GTR -> Interface -> Phones/Speakers

The plus of direct monitoring? (nearly) no latency. The downside? It doesn't pass through your computer/DAW/Plug-In at all.

Nov 11, 2017 7:08 PM in response to Pete_in_FL

Thanks Pete,

I am actually a retired professional audio engineer of more than 40 years standing so I get latency and the signal path. I just did not know what to switch on or off in Logic to achieve real time monitoring of the simulated guitar sound.

Another post sorted me out and I now have near zero latency monitoring of the effected DI input in real time.

Thanks for your contribution though, much appreciated, and it will explain the situation well to any novices out there in the world of Logic recording.

How do I use the amp and cabinet simulations in Logic in real time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.