Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Password Confusion

Hi there,

When I sign onto my MacBook Pro, I have to enter one password, and then I have to enter another password to access my user account. Is anyone able to tell me the process for changing each password?

Many thanks,

Tom.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on

Page content loaded

Nov 13, 2017 9:25 AM in response to tomaubhill In response to tomaubhill

It may not be a password issue as much as revising your log-in preferences. This Apple article show options you have for how log-in works:

macOS Sierra: Login Options pane of Users & Groups System Preferences

The article is for Sierra but High Sierra should be similar You access the options through System Preferences > Users and Groups.

Nov 13, 2017 9:25 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 13, 2017 9:29 AM in response to tomaubhill In response to tomaubhill

Apple has recently started requiring that you have a different password for your local account log in and your AppleID password. Is this the issue you are talking about?

If so, you can go back into the Users and Groups section of System Preferences and change the password for the local account back to match your AppleID.

Nov 13, 2017 9:29 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 13, 2017 10:35 AM in response to JaredDiamonds In response to JaredDiamonds

Am I able to have a scenario where I only input one username and one password, i.e. either my Apple ID sign on, or just my local account log in (as you mention)?

Also, how do I go about changing the password to my local log on (as apposed to my Apple ID)?

Nov 13, 2017 10:35 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 13, 2017 10:41 AM in response to tomaubhill In response to tomaubhill

Yes, all you have to do is go to System Preferences. From there click on the Users and Groups category. Next, choose the user account you want to change the password of, and click the Change Password button. Then make the password of the local account the same as your Apple ID.

IMPORTANT NOTE: every time you update this MacBook's OS, you will have to redo this, as this is only a work-around of the new policy.

Nov 13, 2017 10:41 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 13, 2017 11:12 AM in response to JaredDiamonds In response to JaredDiamonds

Sorry about this, but I'm getting quite confused about this password situ.

I've attached two screenshots which show options to change a password, which does what? Or more importantly, which one changes the initial password used to sign onto my Mac (not my Apple ID log on).

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Nov 13, 2017 11:12 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: tomaubhill

Question: Password Confusion