Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want OS 10.12.n back

I upgraded to high sierra from Sierra 10.12.n. Now I cannot run (e.g) Microsoft Office and Filemaker Pro. and it will cost hundreds to get compatible versions. So how can I undo the upgrade and re-install OS 10.12.n and where do I go to start the process?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), Using Safari

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 11:30 AM

6 replies

Nov 12, 2017 10:11 AM in response to brianfrombarnsley

I'm afraid that the routine for fixing a locked disk if the disk has not failed, requires using Terminal commands.

If you feel comfortable trying to use Terminal then here is what you can try:

Fix Permissions for a Locked Drive

Open Terminal in the Utilities' folder. Copy and paste the following commands at the prompt. Press RETURN after each. The first command will prompt for you to enter your admin password. It will not be echoed to the screen. After entering your password press RETURN again.

sudo chflags 0 /Volumes/*

sudo chmod a+rx /Volumes/*

killall Finder

Now, if this doesn't do the trick you will need to move on and try this:

I looked first hand at this problem and the following commands unlocked and formatted the disk, although Disk Utility could not.

$ diskutil list

Should show something like this:

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *121.3 GB disk0

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 120.5 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *64.0 GB disk1

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_CoreStorage 63.2 GB disk1s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk1s3

Then format the disk in question. In this case, disk1.

$ diskutil eraseDisk JHFS+ name disk1

You should see this:

Started erase on disk1

Unmounting disk

Creating the partition map

Waiting for the disks to reappear

Formatting disk1s2 as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with name name

Initialized /dev/rdisk1s2 as a 59 GB HFS Plus volume with a 8192k journal

Mounting disk

Finished erase on disk1

The following web pages helped me figure this out and might be of use to somebody else.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4091299?start=0&tstart=0

http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2011/11/23/using-the-command-line-to-unlock-or- decrypt-your-filevault-2-encrypted-boot-drive/

Note that the above was not written by me but I have used it and it does work. But if you don't feel comfortable with it then skip it. Take your machine in for repair. You may find that the HDD needs replacing.

Nov 11, 2017 11:53 AM in response to brianfrombarnsley

If your model works with Net Restore and you cannot restore a backup:

Clean Install of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command-Option-Rkeys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the drive (usually, the out-dented entry) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase tab in Disk Utility's main window. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  8. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  9. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  10. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

This should install the version of OS X that was pre-installed when the computer was new.

Nov 12, 2017 4:37 AM in response to Kappy

Thanks Kappy,

I followed your directions, but the first "problem was I was unable to "set the partition scheme to GUID" in the exact sequense you suggested (after clicking the "ERASE" tab), but it looked very much that it was already set there, so I continued, the disk was erased and when I selected "Reinstall" the only option was "High Sierra" and that did not work telling me my Drive was locked and refusing to access any other back up drives. I also tried to reinstall Leopard, from CD with no luck.

I'm now locked out with only the Apple online help facility to get me onto Safari and back to this forum.

Any suggestions I can do other than take it into a Genius bar at my nearest Apple Store?

Regards

Nov 12, 2017 12:20 PM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy,

and thanks for all the help.Partial success, but I couldn't get into terminal, probably on reflection because I used the Cmd/Op/R Restart. I assume if I'd used a normal restart it would have been available.

Anyway, after much trial and error in the disk utility with restore etc. I managed to get the OS to load and I'm back in. Problem is I could only load from the internet and only the latest version so I'm back where I started. Whats more all the apps and docs on my backup won't load or won't show data. e.g, calendar and contacts are now blank. Still, I'm working on it, maybe, I'll get lucky

Regards

I want OS 10.12.n back

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.