Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition - Tried Everything - Version 2

Hi,

I have late 2012 iMac with a brand new 3TB Deskstar Hard Drive. No Fusion Drive. Sierra was installed. Boot camp gave me the message - The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition.

diskutil list

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *3.0 TB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Big Moe 3.0 TB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

diskutil cs list

No CoreStorage logical volume groups found

I planned on following Install Windows 7 on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support

and based on the table it is a five (5) but I cannot get to this stage.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 11:50 AM

16 replies

Nov 11, 2017 1:05 PM in response to Mac320

You should be able to install W7 on your 2012 iMac. Your iMac allows only a legacy BIOS installation of Windows (7/8.1/10), which uses a Hybrid MBR. Due to limitations of a MBR,

• your Windows partition must be >1TB, or
  • must be 'sandwiched' between two chunks and should start within the first 2TB of the disk. This requires a CS volume, if you want the chunks to behave like a contiguous macOS JHFS+ volume. Since you do not have a SSD, some of the benefits do not apply.

You can use

• a USB2 flash drive build by BC Assistant for the Windows installer, or,
  • a DVD in your built-in Optical drive and the USB2 flash drive used to store the BC drivers.

A manual build of a USB2 flash drive Installer is also possible, using Build your own Windows 10 Bootcamp USB Installer (this is valid for W7/W8.1 as well). This replaces the first two tasks - Create and Download - in BCA.

Partitioning can be done using Disk Utility, as long as you use a tool (like GPT Fdisk) to create a matching MBR.

Nov 11, 2017 1:27 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

I thought it was dropped earlier than his model. He will need the BC support: Boot Camp Support Software 5.1.5621 for 64-bit or Boot Camp Support Software 4.0.4326 for 32-bit. Also, for reference: Boot Camp- System requirements for Microsoft Windows operating systems, including mine.

W7 is supported on Macs up to 2014 models. 2015 and later models dropped CSM-BIOS and effectively dropped support for W7.

Kappy wrote:

BTW, a Windows partition greater than 1TB? Don't you mean less than?

The layout on 3TB disks (including Fusion equivalents) is typically

• for less than 1TB Windows partition - macOS + Windows + macOS, with the two macOS parts in a CS, or,
  • for greater than 1TB Windows partition - macOS + Windows

This allows 32-bit numbers used in a MBR to accommodate up to 2TB Windows partitions in BIOS mode. EFI has no such restriction, but requires W8.1/W10. EFI in W7 is very painful.

Apple never went to 4TB disks or equivalent Fusion drives.

The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition - Tried Everything - Version 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.