Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Apple Genius: "do a factory reset on your new iPhone X"

The phone is brand new and having some problems with not turning on the screen when picked up. What good will a factory reset do when it's brand new? I literally laughed out loud when the Genius at the Apple Store suggested this to me.

Seriously, do these people EVER give REAL suggestions besides "do a factory reset"?

Posted on

Page content loaded

Nov 11, 2017 1:06 PM in response to Confused3GS In response to Confused3GS

Seriously, do these people EVER give REAL suggestions besides "do a factory reset"?

Had you restored a backup from previous device to this phone when you set it up?

Have you installed any apps other than the default apps it came with?

Then yes, it is a valid troubleshooting step, and often revolves issues. This step installs a brand new copy of the iOS.

Any other troubleshooting step does not.

REAL suggestions

Regardless of your scepticism, this basic step is real and resolves a large number of issues day to day.

It leverages an effective troubleshooting concept know as "use known good"

Nov 11, 2017 1:06 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 11, 2017 1:48 PM in response to LACAllen In response to LACAllen

The phone was set up "as new". Did not bring over anything old over from my previous phone. It's been out of the box for less than 24 hours. Haven't even put any apps on it yet. A factory reset of a brand new phone....don't get it.

Nov 11, 2017 1:48 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Confused3GS

Question: Apple Genius: "do a factory reset on your new iPhone X"