Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone front facing video recording audio level drops

Hello, when I try to record video of myself playing guitar using the front facing camera, using Apple's camera app, the audio level starts OK, the drops radically. I have recorded with different kinds of devices over many years to know about auto-leveling microphones but this is malfunctioning. Sometimes the level will jump up at a quiet moment but then drop back down way too far. I downloaded another video app and it does it too. Then I restarted the phone. No fix. So then I try the rear camera, and it records video/audio perfectly.

The mic is fine on phone calls I think.

I’m using an iPhone 6s with 64G, iOS 10.3.3

Anybody experience this? Is the auto-leveling just super heavy on the front facing camera? Makes the recording crappy.

iPhone 6s, iOS 10.3.3, 64GB

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 2:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 9:33 AM

Hello Alden,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that when recording video using the built-in camera on your iPhone 6s the volume levels starts out as expected but then drops. The following article has some steps which may help resolve this type of issue:

Get help with the microphones on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Let us know how it goes.

Best Regards.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2017 9:33 AM in response to AldenP

Hello Alden,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that when recording video using the built-in camera on your iPhone 6s the volume levels starts out as expected but then drops. The following article has some steps which may help resolve this type of issue:

Get help with the microphones on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Let us know how it goes.

Best Regards.

iPhone front facing video recording audio level drops

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.