Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to add metadata to clip info panel on FCP

I am very new to FCP and have tried rewording this question so I get a response.

I make a lot of movies using selected still photos in with my videos.

When they appear in the timeline they have an IMG # on the top of the clip.

Is there a way to see the actual title I gave the photo in PHOTOS so I am able to to identify different locations, people etc. in order to make the actual FCP titles for the movie?

Better still I would like to be able to see the location of the still photo.

I can see how to add meta data to the pull-down info panel but I cannot seem to be able to get a location or file name to reflect what is on the still photo when it is in Photos. What do I need to do?

Right now I am having to keep Photos open with the information panel open so I can see the different locations etc and then go back to the timeline and identify the clip.... there must be an easier way. Thanks.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, iOS 10.2.1, 16 GB 2133 Storage: 1TB

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 4:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 9:17 PM

A Photos title should work.

Title it up in Photos and save:

User uploaded file

Import to Browser:

User uploaded file

Names are retained when edited to the Timeline:

User uploaded file

With a little inventive Title naming in Photos you should be able to readily identify your stuff.

I cannot find a way to add the locations directly from the Photos App.

If you like there is a whole world of I.D. using Favourites, Key Words & Smart Collections for FCP X Browser use.

This only helps in FCP X itself. Doesn't help importing from Photos.

Al

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2017 9:17 PM in response to jakiefromut

A Photos title should work.

Title it up in Photos and save:

User uploaded file

Import to Browser:

User uploaded file

Names are retained when edited to the Timeline:

User uploaded file

With a little inventive Title naming in Photos you should be able to readily identify your stuff.

I cannot find a way to add the locations directly from the Photos App.

If you like there is a whole world of I.D. using Favourites, Key Words & Smart Collections for FCP X Browser use.

This only helps in FCP X itself. Doesn't help importing from Photos.

Al

Nov 11, 2017 9:41 PM in response to jakiefromut

several ways doing so…

a) many infos are already in the Inspector, set it to General or Extended

b) you can use the Notes field for manually adding any criteria (or Roles, or Scene)

c) you can modify the Info tab to your needs, have a look:

User uploaded file

in the Inspector/Info tab, at the very bottom, click and select Edit Metadata vIew

a new window pops up:

User uploaded file

for this purpose, I select Longitude from the EXIF view, check that and …

User uploaded file

tadahh, GPS-data in FCPX …

This MetaData-editor lists tons of meta - IF your camera delivers them 😉

Nov 12, 2017 4:03 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis Sequeira1 wrote:

… you can apply custom names inside of FCP X. There you can at least use some of the metadata so it becomes part of the file name. Not at my mac to check right now but I think this may work if you create a good naming scheme.

You mean this Apply Custom Name option in the Inspector, which offers a 'construction kit' for auto-renaming clips:

User uploaded file

yep, that is a superb suggestion and is indeed handy, when you need such info in the clip's name…

Nov 12, 2017 2:33 AM in response to jakiefromut

You have already got some useful suggestions but none of them affect what you see in the timeline-that is still the file name. To do that you can apply custom names inside of FCP X. There you can at least use some of the metadata so it becomes part of the file name. Not at my mac to check right now but I think this may work if you create a good naming scheme.

Nov 12, 2017 1:15 PM in response to Alchroma

Thanks for your reponse - I want the file name that I have given a photo in Photos to still be there when I access it from FCP.

This is my dilemma: 30 photos along a road all through different cities etc. When I view them as clips in the timeline they only have the IMG#### not the file name or key word I assigned to the photos in their albums. Now I come to making my movie in FCP and want to do a title on each clip in a new city so we know what we are looking at. In order to do that I have to keep Photos open and constantly go back and forth to get the location info off the photo and then make my title in FCP. Is there a way to get this information in meta data panel and if so how do I set it up?

Nov 12, 2017 1:16 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks for your reponse - I want the file name that I have given a photo in Photos to still be there when I access it from FCP.

This is my dilemma: 30 photos along a road all through different cities etc. When I view them as clips in the timeline they only have the IMG#### not the file name or key word I assigned to the photos in their albums. Now I come to making my movie in FCP and want to do a title on each clip in a new city so we know what we are looking at. In order to do that I have to keep Photos open and constantly go back and forth to get the location info off the photo and then make my title in FCP. Is there a way to get this information in meta data panel and if so how do I set it up?

How to add metadata to clip info panel on FCP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.