Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow speed of my iPhone

Ever since i have updated my phone with Iso11 software my phone has been really really slow. Worst then an android phone. I always took pride in how quickly i can move about here and there on the iPhone apps with a blink of a second, now its like you open an app and just wait for it to get loaded, no matter if its a phone or messaging function it takes to dam long. Phone has been very sluggish. And i really dont know how to relsolve this issue. FYI i have more then 15gb free space left in the phone if you guys are wondering tht i have a less space plus i have also tried restarting but nothing works. Need help

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 5:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 8:17 PM

Is it possible that one of your apps is not playing nice with iOS 11?

An indirect measure of an over active app, might be the amount of battery the app is using

Settings -> Battery

If you tap on the Clock icon to the left of the [ Last 24 Hours ][ Last 7 Days ] (clock icon)

it will tell you how much of each apps usage came from a background component of the app.

If you have app battery usage that is not inline with your app usage, that is a possible vector to your performance issue.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2017 8:17 PM in response to abd_thegreat

Is it possible that one of your apps is not playing nice with iOS 11?

An indirect measure of an over active app, might be the amount of battery the app is using

Settings -> Battery

If you tap on the Clock icon to the left of the [ Last 24 Hours ][ Last 7 Days ] (clock icon)

it will tell you how much of each apps usage came from a background component of the app.

If you have app battery usage that is not inline with your app usage, that is a possible vector to your performance issue.

Dec 21, 2017 11:52 AM in response to abd_thegreat

We now know why. The slowdown is deliberate. Apple's "feature" is to purposefully slow down "older" iPhones to preserve the battery and prevent shut downs. I think this is largely a bunch a bull s$%t as my phone was just fine with its battery and speed immediately before installing iOS 11. In fact, I performed a clean install of iOS and sure enough, I was regretting the update.

I for one want this to be OPTIONAL. Turn on or off this "feature". Of course, Apple may just jack your iPhone up so you believe you need to turn the feature on. Again, likely just a process to get your frustrated with your phone so you will want to upgrade.

Dec 21, 2017 12:30 PM in response to RyanFromWhittier

I agree that Apple must make the slowing of the CPU speed on the iPhone a user option. If they do not the speculation that Apple slowed the speed to drive up sales of new iPhones will intensify.

My continued loyalty to Apple products is contingent on a quick and responsible fix to the speed problem.

I too had no shut down issues due to an “old battery”.

KEVIN

Dec 16, 2017 4:38 PM in response to kdk-kris

kdk-kris wrote:

Same here, all apps (even apple own system apps) are pretty slow, annoying really!!

I want my old system back! Apple dont upgrade it if it affects system speed!!

A) it is unlikely Apple will stop providing updates, even when it adds more overhead to the operating system.

B) this is a user-to-user forum. Apple does not look for input from these forums. You can use the Feedback page to send your comments to Apple

iPhone Feedback

<https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html>

They will not reply, but it does get read.

Jan 1, 2018 2:45 PM in response to stedman1

I see it as a fear of Math and Science by the general public, so they do not believe that a battery could have reduced capacity.

If Apple really wanted to maximize its profits, they would allow the battery to die early because they did nothing to conserve power, and thus people would be replacing their iPhones much sooner.

As it is, extending the life of the battery, actually allows people to wait another year or 2 before they get a new iPhone.

Jan 16, 2018 2:46 AM in response to BobHarris

I want the option of NOT slowing down my phone. I am happy to go out and purchase a new battery, if necessary, but i do NOT want my phone working at a snail's pace - as it is now. If I were Apple I would be very concerned, as my family of six is now starting to buy other phones (so far one Xiaomi and one PlusOne, and I'm looking to replace my formerly very reliable and robust iPhone 4S which now is so slow I'm embarrassed when I am with a client waiting for my phone). It would be a huge boost in customer confidence if an Apple employee will respond to this thread with constructive information on how either A) Apple is working to restore the speed or B) providing other information on how to restore speed.

Jan 16, 2018 6:12 AM in response to paul1957oy

The iPhone 4s was not subject to the battery related slow down, however, as an former iPhone 4s user, I know that the last versions of iOS that would run on the 4s, added so many CPU/GPU hungry features, that the 4s was not really able to perform them with any speed. I eventually moved to an iPhone 6s and I've been very satisfied for the past 2+ years.

As far as I know, the battery related speed moderation was ONLY implemented in iOS 11.something on iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, 7 and 7 plus. I could be wrong about the exact model mix, but I'm positive the iPhone 4s does not have iOS 11.

As for purchasing phones from other vendors, competition is always good. The important thing is that you are satisfied with the phone you use.

Slow speed of my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.