Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MacBook has slower process and smaller hard drive than my 2014 MacBook?

My battery in my 2014 MacBook Pro died, so I decided to purchase a new one. The new one (which cost the same of my 2014 version) seems significantly faster, but I just noticed that the processor in the 2017 version is slower and that I only have 128GB (2014 version has 256). Guess I assumed that the new version would have a faster processor and more space. I'm wondering if I should keep the new one, or bring it back and simply replace the battery in my 2014 version. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 4:45 PM

23 replies

Nov 11, 2017 8:14 PM in response to cmtusa

There is no such model as a 2014 MacBook. There are only 2006 to 2010, 2015, 2016, and 2017.

User uploaded file

Note that this forum area is intended for the 12" Retina MacBooks, the Early 2105, Early 2016, and the 2017. There are other forum areas specifically for 2006-2010 MacBooks, MacBook Airs, and MacBook Pros.

Nov 11, 2017 5:48 PM in response to cmtusa

Hi,

The 2017 is faster because it has a newer generation processor, so even though the GHz number is smaller, it can do more in a shorter amount of time.

The storage is what it is. You have to pick the amount you want when you purchase the Mac. Apparently you picked 128 instead of the larger 256GBs your old MacBook Pro has.

Given the price differential between a new MBP and the cost of a battery, I would base my decision on how satisfied I was with the 2014. If you were content with it, even though you now know the 2017 is actually faster (forget the GHz), then you could be satisfied by making it whole again with a new battery. If there's no looking back, because now you know there's a faster MBP you could have, and the money doesn't make any difference, then get a 2017 with at least 256GBs of storage. Do remember that the 2017s have only Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports, so you'll probably need to get adapters for anything you connected to your 2014.

Nov 11, 2017 6:05 PM in response to cmtusa

First, you should clarify whether you are talking about a MacBook or a MacBook Pro. Your title only says MacBook, but your first sentences says MacBook Pro. That matters because the MacBook and MacBook Pro use very different processor types.

Mostly it depends on whether what you got is good enough for what you do. If 128GB is more than enough space, you don't need to return it for 256GB; but if isn't enough then you definitely have to take it back.

About the processor speed, you should never compare on the GHz number alone. The true speed is a combination of the type (Intel Core i5 vs i7), the number of cores, and the GHz. For example if someone offered me the choice of a 3.1GHz dual-core i5 or the 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, I would take the 2.9GHz even though that is a lower number than the 3.1GHz. Even though the 3.1GHz i5 sounds faster, I know that when the GHz are the same, the i7 is a faster chip design than the i5 to start with, and a quad-core is often faster than a dual-core, and so the 3.1GHz i5 is probably going to be slower than the 2.9GHz quad-core i7.

All that said, if you feel like what you got is not what you paid for, then you take it back and order what you wanted to pay for (equal or better specs than your old one).

Nov 12, 2017 12:24 AM in response to cmtusa

cmtusa wrote:

They stopped making MacBooks for five years?

Yes. Most of the old 13" MacBooks had a plastic case and usually came in white or black. But then around 2010, Apple decided to unify all their 13" and 15" laptops under the MacBook Pro name, and dropped the old MacBook design.

In 2015, Apple re-introduced the MacBook name with its new line of ultrathin 12" aluminum laptops based on low power Intel Core M processors instead of the Core i3/i5/i7 line found on the MacBook Pros. These 12" models with 1 USB-C port are the MacBooks of today.

Nov 12, 2017 8:06 AM in response to cmtusa

So here are the specs side by side:

2014 MacBook Pro

2.4GHZ dual core Intel Core i5 with 3MB L3 cache (turbo boost up to 2.9GHZ)

8GB of 1600mhz DDR3L SDRAM

256 GB flash storage

2017 MacBook Pro

2.3 GHZ dual Intel Core i5 with 64MB eDRAM (turbo Boost up to 3.6GHZ)

8GB of 2133MHZ LPDDR3 SDRAM

128 GB PCie-based SDRAM

Guess I could spend the extra $200 and get the new Pro with 256 GB or I could spend $200 and put a new battery in my 2014. Really struggling here. I'd be very interested in everyone's opinion.

Thanks!

Nov 12, 2017 8:13 AM in response to cmtusa

The "extra $200" you'd spend on the 256GBs of storage is on top of the $1000+ you'll spend on the MBP itself.

Given the price differential between a new MBP and the cost of a battery, I would base my decision on how satisfied I was with the 2014. If you were content with it, even though you now know the 2017 is actually faster (forget the GHz), then you could be satisfied by making it whole again with a new battery. If there's no looking back, because now you know there's a faster MBP you could have, and the money doesn't make any difference, then get a 2017 with at least 256GBs of storage. Do remember that the 2017s have only Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports, so you'll probably need to get adapters for anything you connected to your 2014.

New MacBook has slower process and smaller hard drive than my 2014 MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.