Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Superdrive rejecting/not reading DVD-RW

I have tried several Staples DVD-RW 4x speed, 120 min. 4.7 GB.

The Mac Mini Super Drive keeps rejecting them.

I have not used DVD's or CD's for sometime, but they have worked normally before.

I was going to transfer/burn some files onto a DVD.

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 6:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 5:51 PM

1. Try cleaning it with a Lens Cleaning Disc.

example > Amazon.com: Endust Lens Cleaner 262000: Home Audio & Theater

2. Then try a different brand of DVD-RW disc's like Verbatim, Memorex, Sony or Maxell.

example > Amazon.com: dvd-rw: Electronics

If those do not help, most any USB external CD/DVD optical drive will work with your Mac.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2017 5:51 PM in response to SteveH

1. Try cleaning it with a Lens Cleaning Disc.

example > Amazon.com: Endust Lens Cleaner 262000: Home Audio & Theater

2. Then try a different brand of DVD-RW disc's like Verbatim, Memorex, Sony or Maxell.

example > Amazon.com: dvd-rw: Electronics

If those do not help, most any USB external CD/DVD optical drive will work with your Mac.

Nov 11, 2017 8:53 PM in response to SteveH

It would be a whole lot easier and possible even cheaper, to just use a USB FlashDrive or a small external Hard Drive to transfer, share or save files.

In order to packet burn to CDs or DVDs, I'm pretty sure that your going to need third party software.

see > https://www.google.com/search?client=pub-7796957396925846&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8 859-1&ei=j9AHWsHXHs2kjwPT8JqIBg&q=packet…

Nov 12, 2017 7:33 AM in response to den.thed

I had a few blank DVD'd so I thought I'd try putting a few large video files onto a DVD-RW.

We got the DVD-RW because we thought we would be able to write or re=write over files.

Now I'm not sure what the point of DVD-RW's are unless we have a 3rd party software installed,

I'm almost positive we have been able to write over previously.

The files we have are too big for a thumb drive and our EXD is already full.

Nov 12, 2017 8:14 AM in response to den.thed

What we wanted to do was add files to a DVD-RW that already had files on it. Such as picture/video

files. We want to put our current files onto a DVD-RW and then be able to add additional files. But, as I look at DVD's on line I see that most have a capacity of 4.7 GB which is far below the 80 GB we need to start with.

But I will try your idea of erasing a DVD-RW - I'll let you know if it works.

Nov 12, 2017 9:46 AM in response to SteveH

Sounds like you really need another external hard drive or large FlashDrive to backup or store your picture and video files on.

You do realize that you will need about 20 DVDs to hold 80GB of files or 2 DVDs if you meant 8GB of files. If you still want to do it the hard way...? Try this, copy the current data on the DVD to your Mac, erase the DVD, combine a group files up to around 4GB and then burn them back onto the DVD.

Nov 12, 2017 1:01 PM in response to den.thed

You've got some great ideas - and I've tried them, but the problem is the Erease does not work for the DVD-RW, the disk shows on Disk Utility, but it is grayed out.

So, we are going to get a a few 120 GB flash drive and put all our video's & pics on them. That will free up quite a bit of the MHD.

I'm still not sure why the DVD-RW is not working properly, I am able to open the video's & pics but and copy videos & pics, not able to erase or copy over.

Nov 12, 2017 5:52 PM in response to SteveH

SteveH wrote:

You've got some great ideas - and I've tried them, but the problem is the Erase does not work for the DVD-RW, the disk shows on Disk Utility, but it is grayed out.

Did you have the same Mac, different Mac or PC to original burn those DVDs. Maybe you had and used something like an older version of Toast or iDVD when you original burned those DVDs?

So, we are going to get a a few 120 GB flash drive and put all our video's & pics on them. That will free up quite a bit of the MHD.

2 or 3 is a good idea! You should always have more than than just 1 copy saved some place. I always keep 2 or more backup copies backup of important things like photos and home movies.

I'm still not sure why the DVD-RW is not working properly, I am able to open the video's & pics but and copy videos & pics, not able to erase or copy over.

Maybe try Control (right) clicking the DVD image on your desktop and check to see if Erase is available in the pop-up menu.

Nov 12, 2017 5:11 PM in response to den.thed

Well, I'm pleased to report that Right clicked worked. I Right clicked on the DVD and one of the choices was indeed Erase. I was able to copy 3 small files onto the DVD at the same time.

However, the ability to copy additional small files to the same DVD is not working. Being that I am able to erase the entire DVD - It's very strange that I am not able to add additional files, when I drag & drop a window opens saying I have to install a DVD (which is already installed).

Superdrive rejecting/not reading DVD-RW

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.