Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: "uninstaller quit unexpectedly" and ssp.fwrdy virus

Every time i start up my Macbook Pro I get the error message "uninstaller quit unexpectedly", and have continual problems with ssp.fwrdy virus.

Timeline of events:

- Mackeeper pop-up tabs continually appearing in my web browser via the ssp fwrdy virus. I tried following removal methods previously posted on several discussion boards but to no avail (Search Page Injection (SPI) malware on Mac OS | SecureMacOS and ssp.fwrdy.com Virus Removal for Mac | SecureMacOS). I removed spi application, folder, and plist files.

- When I open my Mac I received a request for password with the message "spi is trying to modify your network configuration...". I followed instructions on "spi is trying to modify the system network con... |Official Apple Support Communities - recommending to delete the spi app. I have now removed the spi app. When dropping the spi app in the trash bin I received the "uninstaller quit unexpectedly" message for the first time (seemingly as though the application was blocking the uninstaller's ability to remove spi, but really not sure).

- Now, every time I shut down my mac and re-open, I receive the "uninstaller quit unexpectedly" message.

- Further ssp.fwrdy continues to pop-up adware tabs while I'm browsing

I'm running a brand new 2017 Macbook Pro, using macOS Sierra version 10.12.5

Processor: 3.1GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 8GB

Please help!

Mike

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on

Page content loaded

Nov 11, 2017 7:59 PM in response to mikemcrae25 In response to mikemcrae25

Create a new Admin user account in Users & Groups preferences. Log out of your account and restart the computer. After startup log into the new account. Do you continue with the same problems? If not then I suggest you delete your old user account. Restore your files from a backup prior to this virus problem or from original distribution media. Also, see Transferring files from one User Account to another.

Nov 11, 2017 7:59 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: mikemcrae25

Question: "uninstaller quit unexpectedly" and ssp.fwrdy virus