Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do chest strap HR monitors disable other Apple Watch readings?

I have an Apple Watch Series 2. I recently purchased a Wahoo TICKR X for a more reliable HR reading during yoga, weight lifting and treadmill usage.

When the chest strap is connected and I'm using, for example, an indoor walk on the Workout app, does it only calculate calories burned based on my heart rate from the chest strap, or will it use the Watch's built in technology in conjunction with the chest strap?

Thanks.

Apple Watch Series 2, watchOS 4.1

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 8:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 7:29 AM

Hi

When using a Bluetooth chest strap heart rate monitor in conjunction with Apple Watch, when estimating the results of workouts recorded by the Workout app, your Apple Watch will use heart rate readings from that sensor along with information from any other sensors that may be relevant for that activity type.

For example: for Indoor Walk workouts, Apple Watch will also use data from the built-in accelerometer.

For workouts recorded using Other as the activity type, Apple Watch credits one minute of Exercise for each full minute of the workout and Active Calories at a rate equivalent to a brisk walk or based on data recorded by the heart rate sensor, whichever is higher.

More information:

Work out with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch - Apple Support

About workout types - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2017 7:29 AM in response to CLEfan1987

Hi

When using a Bluetooth chest strap heart rate monitor in conjunction with Apple Watch, when estimating the results of workouts recorded by the Workout app, your Apple Watch will use heart rate readings from that sensor along with information from any other sensors that may be relevant for that activity type.

For example: for Indoor Walk workouts, Apple Watch will also use data from the built-in accelerometer.

For workouts recorded using Other as the activity type, Apple Watch credits one minute of Exercise for each full minute of the workout and Active Calories at a rate equivalent to a brisk walk or based on data recorded by the heart rate sensor, whichever is higher.

More information:

Work out with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch - Apple Support

About workout types - Apple Support

Do chest strap HR monitors disable other Apple Watch readings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.