Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Apple TV from iPhone

I have an iPhone 8 Plus and iPad mini 4 both with an appleTV app preinstalled. I cannot get this app to work with my TV. Is there something I'm missing. I had to turn off all options in the app to get back to using mirroring again but I would prefer to setup the AppleTv app if possible.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 7:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 7:35 PM

I think you mean TV app, which has nothing to do with Apple TV (other than the fact that the app is also available on that platform if using 4th Gen or 4K). Can you elaborate on what you’re trying to do and the issue?

8 replies

Nov 11, 2017 7:48 PM in response to mulberrywriter

This is the Apple TV remote:

User uploaded file

It lets you control the Apple TV from your iPhone like a remote.

This is just the TV App,

User uploaded file

It really has nothing to do with the Apple TV. The TV App lets you view your synced and purchased movies, tv shows and home videos on your iOS devices as well as content from other providers. It has no interaction with the Apple TV. There's a TV App on the Apple TV though that works in much the same way.

It should not really affect the mirroring, except some channels may not allow it with their content, but other content should still work.

Turning on channels should not affect mirroring. What happened when you tried to mirror?

Nov 11, 2017 7:39 PM in response to vazandrew

Ah, yes, of course you are right. It is a little pale green TV screen app. I had ticked all the channels (in Australia) to on and I could not get the usual mirroring to work with my television. I was wrong to think it related directly to Apple TV but it does look as though it wants to be set up with other devices...

When I turned it all off, I was able to mirror as usual.

Nov 11, 2017 7:47 PM in response to mulberrywriter

If you are referring to your TVs built in mirroring capability then that would also have nothing to do with Apple TV. The TV app is simply a means of bringing together all streaming services content under one app to see an overview of what one is watching (what’s next) along with discovering new content. It doesn’t need setting up with any device, I think you may confusing this with your actual Tv’s settings

Nov 11, 2017 7:52 PM in response to vazandrew

Thanks. As mentioned above, I made a mistake thinking it was some sort of app relating to the Apple TV. I can do mirroring as per usual. HOWEVER, with iPhonen 8Plus I always have to disable my passcode and re-register one every time so the TV doesn't turn itself off when the phone goes to sleep. Is it ok, do you think to use fingerprint ID only?

Using Apple TV from iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.