Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 11 iPad mini 2 cellular stopped working, broke.

Using iPad Mini 2 cellular. Verizon data used to work great consistently until upgrading to iOS 11. Now it consistently indicates 1x, 3G, or worse. If i pop the cellular chip out and put it in an iPad Pro cellular, the Pro connects LTE fine, same location where the mini 2 cannot connect.

Just tested iOS 11.1.1

Reset network settings, still doesn’t work.

Anyone else experiencing this problem with the mini 2 cellular?

Is it possible to downgrade back to iOS 10?

My mini 2 can now only get LTE in specific locations within near proximity to cellular access points.

iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 10:39 PM

18 replies

Nov 12, 2017 1:03 PM in response to Camino fan 2010

Hi, Camino fan 2010,

Thanks for being a part of the Apple Support Communities. From your post, I understand that you are having trouble with the cellular connectivity of your iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular. Specifically, while you connect to 1x or 3G without trouble, you are having issues with the iPad finding, connecting, and maintaining LTE service. I'm happy to help!

I see you have already tried two great steps; removing the SIM and resetting network settings are both outlined in the following article, that addresses your issue: If you see No Service or Searching on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support . Even though the title isn't exactly the same issue you have, the steps to troubleshoot both are the same. Since you've already done at least two of the steps detailed in that article, my recommendation is to make sure you complete all of the other steps as well.

Cheers.

Nov 27, 2017 7:54 PM in response to Leanne_68

I reset the iPad Mini Retina to factory settings.. exhibits same problems..

spent 3 hours today with Verizon and Apple tech support.. recommendation was to Reset the iPad to factory and restore from backup.. A heavy handed, time consuming endeavor without delivering any success..

I will just cancel my cellular subscription after the current period unless it magically starts to work again. possibly switch providers.. I’m not switching devices until a new Mini sized iPad becomes available..

I will turn on data feedback to Apple for the remainder of my cellular plan’s period.

Dec 6, 2017 10:04 AM in response to Camino fan 2010

problem has resurfaced just now.. i have not yet updated to iOS 11.2.

i’m now thinking this is entirely a Verizon problem.

fortunately i’m being offered a carrier update at this time too.

might as well update to iOS 11.2 and the new carrier update since i’m experiencing the cellular data problem and i’m still at 11.1.2 (carrier v 30.0).

fingers crossed.

Dec 6, 2017 12:27 PM in response to Camino fan 2010

It sounds almost like you have a tower issue with Verizon in your location. If you try another location with the device, does it show the LTE? I would be inclined to believe it is Verizon as well, based on how you describe the issue. I'm not a Verizon customer, but I know I've seen similar things happen with AT&T at times, and a call to them to check the towers in your physical area might help. Sometimes they find out there are problems in the area they are not aware of.

Jan 25, 2018 11:14 PM in response to Camino fan 2010

still not working..

i feel like “iOS 11 intentionally reduced functionality” is at play here.

i feel like iOS 11 simply needlessly reduces the maximum broadcast signal strength of my iPad.

i feel like this is planned obsolescence, or managed neglect (and not very eco friendly).

i’m not experiencing any reduced battery strength just cellular broadcast capability.

wish i could revert back to iOS 10.

Jan 5, 2018 11:46 AM in response to Camino fan 2010

waiting to hear if a reduced price battery replacement plan is being offered to iPad Mini 2 people... ?

$200 is the current price.. too steep just to discover if it would fix this problem.. I think iOS 11 should be fixed to disable these supposed "battery conservation" features. Let us discover our battery problems ourselves instead of trying to mask the issue with slowdown and broadcast strength reduction "features".

Jan 31, 2018 6:51 PM in response to Camino fan 2010

Problem solved.. NEW BATTERY from a 3rd party repair shop $100.

LTE everywhere again.. just like before with iOS 10.

Definitely the problem caused by Apple’s iOS 11 battery age related reduced power consumption “feature”.

Apparently if your battery is below the threshold of 80% ”new condition” the reduced functionality (power saving feature) mode turns on. So if you are near 80% it might turn on one day and back off another because it will float 5% above and below what it’s condition really is. In reduced power mode (iOS 11 battery saving feature enabled) the cellular broadcast power strength is obviously reduced too, thus limiting cellular connections range from cell towers.

I used “coconutBattery tester 3.6.5” before and after the battery replacement. Mine was 70% factory condition prior to swapping in a new battery. 100% factory condition after a 3rd party repair shop installed the new battery.

http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

iOS 11 iPad mini 2 cellular stopped working, broke.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.