Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My phone says I cannot use my Apple ID with my Apple Watch when pairing

I got a new phone and I cannot pair my Apple Watch. It says I cannot use my Apple ID

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 10:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 3:07 AM

Hi

You are describing Activation Lock, which prevents unauthorised use of Apple Watch if it is lost or stolen.

If the Apple Watch is locked to your own account, but you are having issues with your credentials:

It may help to follow the instructions here:

• If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support
  • If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

• If you still need assistance, contact Apple Support or make a Genius Bar reservation, taking along your Apple Watch and your original proof of purchase for it:

If the Apple Watch is instead pre-owned and locked to the previous owner's account:

• You will need the previous owner (who may not be the seller) to either enter their Apple ID and password on your iPhone or to turn the feature off via https://www.icloud.com/ (by signing in with their Apple ID > Find My iPhone > All Devices, then select the Apple Watch > Erase Apple Watch > Next until erased > click X next to the watch).
    • If you cannot arrange for the previous owner to do this, then you should return the watch for a refund.
    • You will not otherwise be able to use the watch. There is no way around this security feature.
    • Apple will not advise you of the previous owner's contact details, nor will Apple pass your details on to them.

More information:

About Activation Lock on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

1 reply
    Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2017 3:07 AM in response to Petrpn1313

Hi

You are describing Activation Lock, which prevents unauthorised use of Apple Watch if it is lost or stolen.

If the Apple Watch is locked to your own account, but you are having issues with your credentials:

It may help to follow the instructions here:

• If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support
  • If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

• If you still need assistance, contact Apple Support or make a Genius Bar reservation, taking along your Apple Watch and your original proof of purchase for it:

If the Apple Watch is instead pre-owned and locked to the previous owner's account:

• You will need the previous owner (who may not be the seller) to either enter their Apple ID and password on your iPhone or to turn the feature off via https://www.icloud.com/ (by signing in with their Apple ID > Find My iPhone > All Devices, then select the Apple Watch > Erase Apple Watch > Next until erased > click X next to the watch).
    • If you cannot arrange for the previous owner to do this, then you should return the watch for a refund.
    • You will not otherwise be able to use the watch. There is no way around this security feature.
    • Apple will not advise you of the previous owner's contact details, nor will Apple pass your details on to them.

More information:

About Activation Lock on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

My phone says I cannot use my Apple ID with my Apple Watch when pairing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.