Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Force camera to take portrait photos

I would like to force the camera on my iPad to take photos in portrait mode. I thought that locking the screen in portrait mode would work, but when I later viewed the photos, many of them were displayed as landscape. FWIW I’m taking photos of sheets of paper and I want to read them right side up.

iPod touch

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 12:01 AM

1 reply

Nov 12, 2017 1:33 PM in response to dougshmish

Hi, Doug!

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities. If I understand your situation, you are taking pictures of sheets of paper with your iPad. You would like those photos to be taken in portrait mode, but whenever you take the photos, they are appearing in landscape. I'm happy to help!

From what you describe, it sounds like you have the paper on a flat, horizontal surface, like a table or desk, and are hovering the iPad over it to take the photo. This may be tricking the iPad into thinking you want to take a landscape picture, as the movement may be triggering a sideways turn in the gyroscope. I have a couple of ideas to try and solve this for you:
  1. If you have an inclined surface, such as a drafting table, or a music stand (or if you can create one with common office/household items), this will allow you to keep the iPad upright to take the photos.
  2. Turn the paper horizontal on the table, and take the photo in landscape mode. This will make sure that the long side of the paper is the long side of the photo. Even if it is still sideways once taken, you can use the edit tool in Photos to turn the photo the correct direction, and the dimensions will not be altered.
Have a great day!

Force camera to take portrait photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.