Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Logic X EXS Samples Location

Hi,

I'm on a mid 2012 Mac Pro. I just switched to Sierra and Logic X.

Previously Logic had a designated folder not only for the EXS Instruments, but also for the Samples (in which one could put an alias).

Logic X still has such a designated folder for the EXS Instruments, but regarding samples the manual says they can be anywhere on the computer, Logic will find them.

Thing is: I have a SSD via PCI card for my most important sounds. Those are as well back upped to internal HDs.

Now, since I cannot tell Logic where to look, it just takes any samples it finds first. Via Sample Editor mode I can see that it takes it from back up HDs. (Even from "saved as projects" projects where samples where included.

I found that I can tell to look for internal, external drives only, but nothing about a designated folder. It also doesn't show the message "multiple samples found" and then I can choose the preferred path.

Is I cannot point to a folder a SSD and the PCI don't help.

Anyone has a solution to this? (And please don't tell me to loose the back up folders, so Logic is forced to go to the SSD). They are running daily. I cannot have Logic go through 60TB to look for samples, if I know exactly where they are.

Thanks,

D

Logic Pro X, 10.12.6

Posted on

Page content loaded

Nov 12, 2017 2:30 AM in response to fiedelfatz In response to fiedelfatz

Logic uses the spotlight index to find samples for EXS.

If you recently updated the OS you need to let it scan your drives to recreate an index.

You can speed it up by placing an Alias of your samples inside ~/Music/Audio Music Apps/Samples, but if you just let the computer not go to sleep over night it should be able to find them anyway.

Nov 12, 2017 2:30 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 12, 2017 10:54 PM in response to Thyss_81 In response to Thyss_81

no, I didn't use migration assistant. It's not about files missing, it's about pointing to them on a desired location (vs let Logic decides where to find them first). Keep in mind, I have multiple copies of my sounds running at the same time.

The point is for Logic to point to the sounds on the SSD via PCI Slot instead of internal HD. Makes sense?

Nov 12, 2017 10:54 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 12, 2017 11:01 PM in response to Cuauhtemoc In response to Cuauhtemoc

The point is not so much that Logic doesn't find the samples (usually it does), rather than me choosing a specific location where to look for. Again, I have my samples duplicated on multiple drives that are running at the same time.

It seems it is up to Logic (spotlight index) to decide where to find the samples first. Keep in mind.

I like to have control over where Logic looks for those sounds, so Logic points to the sounds on the SSD via PCI Slot (fast) instead of a duplicate of the samples on an internal HD (slow). So far it chooses the ones on the internal HD (I guess it scans local, then internal, then external.

It at least used to ask which ones user would like to use if duplicates are found, but it just chooses for the user.

There is no Samples folder inside ~/Music/Audio Music Apps/. Should I create one and put an alias of my samples there? Will Logic then look there first?

Will test this. In the mean time thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
D

Nov 12, 2017 11:01 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 15, 2017 10:41 PM in response to Cuauhtemoc In response to Cuauhtemoc

So I tried this and it does not work.

If I place an Alias of my samples inside ~/Music/Audio Music Apps/Samples Logic will still take the Samples from another location (in my case internal HDs instead of PCI-SSD).

The location of the samples Logic pulls seems random. Sometimes it takes them from backed up Projects (that where saved with samples), sometimes from my Samples BU Drive, never from the SSD (probably because it counts as external running via PCI?!)

Anyway, Alias didn't help. Problem still not resolved!

Thanks, was a good idea though and worth a shot.

Nov 15, 2017 10:41 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 15, 2017 11:57 PM in response to fiedelfatz In response to fiedelfatz

Have you tried telling spotlight to not index your backup versions of the samples in the system drive?

Choose System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy and add the folder with your backed up project folder, and add the back up drive.

This should force Logic Pro X to use the samples from the PCI drive unless they are not indexed.

Nov 15, 2017 11:57 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 16, 2017 12:04 AM in response to Cuauhtemoc In response to Cuauhtemoc

update: In EXS Prefs you can tell to look for Samples on 1. local drives 2. external drives 3. all

When I put "external drives" it won't find the samples. Rarely, but it does takes samples from that drive when I have "all" checked.

How do I know if Spotlight indexed the external (SSD on PCI)?

I'll try your suggestion, though I would like to have Spotlight for non Logic use to include my other drives.

By the way, I was running into the same problem with user Apple Loops...

Nov 16, 2017 12:04 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 16, 2017 12:43 AM in response to fiedelfatz In response to fiedelfatz

fiedelfatz wrote:

How do I know if Spotlight indexed the external (SSD on PCI)?

You can try adding the PCI drive to your Privacy list on the Spotlight preference, then remove it from the list.

This will trigger spotlight to index that drive again.

Nov 16, 2017 12:43 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 16, 2017 1:23 AM in response to Cuauhtemoc In response to Cuauhtemoc

Awesome. I'll try that! Thanks so much for your help, very much appreciated.

I go into production tomorrow, so I'll play around with it the next days and pick this up next week to give you an update how it goes.

With gratitude,

Daniel

Nov 16, 2017 1:23 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: fiedelfatz

Question: Logic X EXS Samples Location