Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloudProblem with 'helper app.' Numbers won't open files

I'm on High Sierra, 10.13.1 and Numbers just updated yesterday to 4.3.1

Get a screen message: "iCloud Drive may not work properly. Check the iCloud Preferences Pane.

"Couldn't communicate with a Helper App.'

??

Don't know what to do at the iCloud Preferences Pane. Not may options.

But one thing for sure, first problem noticed: Numbers won't open files.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), Cameras, music gear, Wacom tablet.

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 2:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 7:56 AM

Try signing out of iCloud in the Preferences Pane, and then signing back in again. Also make sure iCloud Drive is checked and click the Options... next to it and double-check that Numbers.app is still checked.

If that doesn't work you could try restarting your Mac and relaunching Numbers.

SG

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2017 7:56 AM in response to 60wpm

Try signing out of iCloud in the Preferences Pane, and then signing back in again. Also make sure iCloud Drive is checked and click the Options... next to it and double-check that Numbers.app is still checked.

If that doesn't work you could try restarting your Mac and relaunching Numbers.

SG

Nov 13, 2017 8:14 AM in response to SGIII

Good idea. Signing out of iCloud Drive solved all problems.

I will add I (and others) find some confusion now between what is iCloud Drive and what is iCloud.

I would just like to save a few files, now and then, to my iCloud.

I don't want or need iCloud Drive, so I think I just stay signed out on it for now.

Thanks.

Nov 13, 2017 9:12 AM in response to 60wpm

As far as I can tell you can "sign out" of iCloud. But I don't think you can "sign out" of iCloud Drive.

For Numbers to work the way it is designed to work (online backup,automatic sync across devices, and the ability to share or collaborate) you might want to consider being signed into iCloud, activating iCloud Drive, and checking Numbers.app behind the Options... button.

SG

iCloudProblem with 'helper app.' Numbers won't open files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.