Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos migrate library to iCloud

Hi,

I have been using Photo since it was created but with a local library as I did not had enough iCloud storage space. Now I decided to subscribe to more storage in iCloud and I would like to have my library in the iCloud.

However, I can´t figure out how to move the pictures from the Photos library in my MacBook Pro into the Photos Library in iCloud, I can only open one or the other. How do I fix this?

Thanks,

Lupi

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), Photos 1.5 (370.42.0)

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 4:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 2:39 AM

You misunderstand iCloud - you do not migrate your library to iCloud - you enable iCloud Photo Library which is a syncing service (and if you have limited space on any device using ICPL set it for optimized photos) - all photos are on all devices with the originals on iCloud and either the originals or optimized smaller versions on each connected device depending on the setting you choose on that device and all changes made on any device (additions, deletions or edits) are made on all devices

LN

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2017 2:39 AM in response to _Souljourner_

You misunderstand iCloud - you do not migrate your library to iCloud - you enable iCloud Photo Library which is a syncing service (and if you have limited space on any device using ICPL set it for optimized photos) - all photos are on all devices with the originals on iCloud and either the originals or optimized smaller versions on each connected device depending on the setting you choose on that device and all changes made on any device (additions, deletions or edits) are made on all devices

LN

Nov 14, 2017 2:33 AM in response to LarryHN

Thanks, yes I did misunderstand Photos iCloud concept. I think what mislead me was that one can buy 2TB of storage data, if it is just used as a device distribution cache why would you have one that is bigger than any device can have ? The reality is that it is also a storage point, so the originals can in fact be stored there but smaller versions can be kept in the devices. Besides that the iCloud is also used for backups of devices, and other things, and if you have a family and many computers, devices then it adds up and makes sense I guess. The ability to share content is also a key point.

Thanks.

Nov 14, 2017 2:38 AM in response to Old Toad

You are right, it has to be used as System Photo Library. However, I misunderstood how the iCloud worked, and because of that I did not understood the idea of having a System Photo Library on my laptop when it should be in the iCloud... naturally I was wrong so I was going down the rabbit hole.

Once I got the iCloud concept cleared out then this button made sense and now I just turned my existing library into the System Photo Library, no need to export, import, merge, etc. that I was trying.

Thanks!

Photos migrate library to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.