Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The DVD player on my macbook pro doesn't work

DVD player on my macbook pro doesn't work.

It doesn't accept and play my Downton Abbey DVD

The DVD player is located in the Program section of the computer

VIN, MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), iOS 10.3.3, operating system 10.12.6

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 2:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 2:06 AM

First try an SMC reset:

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

I suspect that's not going to help, so next purchase a drive cleaning disk. They are about US$5-15 at most home electronics outlets, computer stores and "office superstores" that sell computer equipment. Slot-load optical drives as used on your model MBP get dirty over time and that can stop them from working. In many cases a cleaning disk will restore full function to drives that a professional technician has pronounce dead and in need of replacement.

If a cleaning disk does not fix it, you will need to replace the drive. Fortunately that is a relatively easy repair on the 2010 MacBook Pros.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2017 2:06 AM in response to paulaglascast

First try an SMC reset:

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

I suspect that's not going to help, so next purchase a drive cleaning disk. They are about US$5-15 at most home electronics outlets, computer stores and "office superstores" that sell computer equipment. Slot-load optical drives as used on your model MBP get dirty over time and that can stop them from working. In many cases a cleaning disk will restore full function to drives that a professional technician has pronounce dead and in need of replacement.

If a cleaning disk does not fix it, you will need to replace the drive. Fortunately that is a relatively easy repair on the 2010 MacBook Pros.

The DVD player on my macbook pro doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.