Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop adding downloaded mp3 iTunes

I realize you can uncheck the Open Safe option in Safari to prevent downloaded mp3 or wav files from being played in iTunes. Opening an mp3 doesn't bother me so much as ADDING it to the iTunes library does.

In my case I have a buch of phone messages in my iTunes library - which I manually remove. Periodically, I do this - but I'd like to find a better way to open the mp3 without adding to iTunes library.

So, I don't mind opening the mp3 to hear it - I just don't want to add every random mp3 into my music library.

-David

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 5:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 8:51 AM

silver_mica wrote:

I realize you can uncheck the Open Safe option in Safari to prevent downloaded mp3 or wav files from being played in iTunes. Opening an mp3 doesn't bother me so much as ADDING it to the iTunes library does.

In my case I have a buch of phone messages in my iTunes library - which I manually remove. Periodically, I do this - but I'd like to find a better way to open the mp3 without adding to iTunes library.

So, I don't mind opening the mp3 to hear it - I just don't want to add every random mp3 into my music library.

-David

David,

iTunes is designed so that anything it plays will get automatically added to the library.

If you only want to listen, set MP3 to open by default in QuickTime instead of iTunes.

If you need the steps, see "Changing default apps associated with certain file types" in this article:

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/how-change-default-programs-on-ma c-3656510/

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2017 8:51 AM in response to silver_mica

silver_mica wrote:

-David

David,

iTunes is designed so that anything it plays will get automatically added to the library.

If you only want to listen, set MP3 to open by default in QuickTime instead of iTunes.

If you need the steps, see "Changing default apps associated with certain file types" in this article:

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/how-change-default-programs-on-ma c-3656510/

Stop adding downloaded mp3 iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.