Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New folder command dimmed

I am using OS X El Capitan

When I try to create a new folder in Finder window using the 'New Folder' item under 'File' in the toolbar at the top of the page, it is greyed out

I have used 'Get Info' and it shows I have read and write permission for the folder I am in

If I unlock the yellow padlock symbol it is still the same

Any ideas please?

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 4:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 10:49 AM

Yellow padlock symbol?

Would you make a screen shot so people can see what you are seeing? Make sure you cover any personal information using Preview. Post the screen shot in a Reply using the camera icon or you can drag the screen shot into a reply. Copy and paste doesn't work.

Screen shots

7 replies

Nov 13, 2017 9:14 AM in response to djwhite01

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Re-launch Finder by restarting the computer and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Nov 14, 2017 9:36 AM in response to djwhite01

You are welcome. Something else to try.

You may need to rebuild permissions on your user account. To do this,boot to your Recovery partition (holding down the Command and R keys while booting) and open Terminal from the Utilities menu. In Terminal, type: ‘resetpassword’ (without the ’s), hit return, and select the admin user. You are not going to reset your password. Click on the icon for your Macs hard drive at the top. From the drop down below it select the user account which is having issues. At the bottom of the window, you'll see an area labeled Restore Home Directory Permissions and ACLs. Click the reset button there. The process takes a few minutes. When complete, restart.

Repair User Permissions

User/File Permissions - How to Fix

New folder command dimmed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.