Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Linking text boxes on a multi-page document

Hello

I'm trying to link text boxes on different pages of my document but having no success.

First let me explain how my document is layed out:

I have four pages (A4 landscape). When they are printed double-sided, stapled and folded, they form an eight page A5 vertical booklet. Hopefully you're with me so far ...

I have a total of seven text boxes. There is one text box on each of the eight pages of the final booklet. The problem stems from the fact that, as laid out, there are two text boxes on three of the A4 landscape pages and one on the remainder. The order in which I want to link the boxes is the problem. Starting with the text box on the lefthandside on page two I can link to the right-hand text box on page 3, then the left-hand on page four, then the right- hand on page four. So far so good! This 'thread' is now four text boxes long. When I attempt to link the righthand text box on page four (number four in the thread) to the right-hand text box on page two the trouble begins. I can only create another thread, not continue with the original thread. If I try the latter in changes the order of the thread already on that page. It could well be that the current version of 'Pages' (the latest version under OS 10.12.6) will not do this; please advise

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 6:21 AM

8 replies

Nov 13, 2017 6:59 AM in response to Wild Mull

Hi Peter

It's me again; I've just been recreating my document in Pages '09. Unfortunately I cannot get the text boxes to link in the way I want (see first message for description). I got as far as text box four (on page 4) but when I try to link to the lefthand text box on page 3 the option to link is greyed out. Here's a screenshot to give you an idea:

User uploaded file

The screenshot shows pages 2, 3 & 4

I'm trying to link from the '+' overflow symbol to the text box on the lefthand side of the middle page (page 3 in my document). There are then two other text boxes (on the righthand side of page 2 [top right in the screenshot] and the lefthand side of page 1) which is not shown here, but lies above the top of this screenshot.

Any thoughts?

Nov 12, 2017 8:11 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Hi Peter

Thanks for your reply.

I had tried to set this document up under Pages '09 (on my old Mac Pro under OS 10.6.8) but because of the nature of the document - my requirement for text boxes with specific leading to match ruled lines - tried in Pages 6.3.1 which did give me specific leading, but not linked boxes in the way I require. Under Pages '09 I used tables to get the leading I required, but these don't link of course!

Hey Ho!

I had originally set this kind of document up using Adobe In-Design, but no longer have access to it. It is of course a full page layout app and can do almost anything. Let's hope the programmers have a change of mind with the text boxes!

Thanks again Peter

Linking text boxes on a multi-page document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.