Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac will not boot up. It failed to download the new High Sierra and crashed

I tried to download the new High Sierra software to my iMac. After about one hour it continued to say 44 minute wait time. I turned it off and now it will not boot up. Any hel appreciated

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 6:47 AM

Startup in macOS Recovery > select Disk Utility > Repair the Macintosh HD startup disk > then go to Reinstall MacOS and install MacOS.

see > About macOS Recovery - Apple Support for the full instructions.

8 replies

Dec 3, 2017 7:56 AM in response to topbrit

Me too. Looks like others are having the same issue. So my mac mini is now in the shop where it will cost me $120 to try to get it to work. Otherwise it's a restore from my backup. It fails to boot into anything. Spent an hour on the phone with Apple about it and there was no fix. Not pleased at all with Apple. My mini is only two years old. I've sent out the word to others I know who have Apples NOT to do the download without a full backup beforehand and to be prepared for trouble.

Dec 3, 2017 8:24 AM in response to Diane1349

I was able to boot my macbook in target disk mode, create more room (at least 15gb) by deleting the files created by the prior attempt to install High Sierra, and then it would reboot in recovery mode. Then I chose to install a new copy of High Sierra from the recovery menu, and all is well again. I'm sorry you had to take yours to Apple, I feel fortunate that I was able to do it myself.

My iMac will not boot up. It failed to download the new High Sierra and crashed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.