Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Webcam audio has gone since High Sierra

Since upgrading to high Sierra (version 10.13.1 (17B48) on my Mac Mini (Late 2012) I have lost audio on my Creative Web Cam both in the settings menu when selecting the device - no sound appears to display in test bars and also in general on face time only video shows with no audio.

I have tried disabling SIP and re-enabling as read somewhere this caused issues in the past, but no joy.

Has anyone had this issue, and potentially found a fix?

Mac mini, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 8:58 AM

11 replies

Nov 13, 2017 10:32 AM in response to vinceremedy

With the web cam connected to your mini, does it:

1. Show up in System Preferences > Sound > Input tab as a device for sound input? For example, my web cam appears as a "Unknown USB Audio Device."
  2. Show up on your Mac's System Report, via Apple icon on the menu bar > About This Mac > System Report ..., does your web cam appear under the USB Device Tree? For example, mine shows under USB2.0 Hub as a "Miscellaneous Device."
  3. Show up under Hardware > Audio > Devices in the System Report?

Nov 13, 2017 9:10 AM in response to vinceremedy

FWIW. I don't have a Creative web cam. Instead I have a Logitech that I have been using successfully since OS X Mavericks. My mini is currently running macOS High Sierra with this web cam. Like yours, it did NOT require any drivers to work.

I assume that your web cam is connected directly to one of your mini's available USB ports ... correct?

Nov 17, 2017 1:04 PM in response to vinceremedy

So creative came back to me below is the response:

I went into Audio and Midi settings in Utilities and configured the device to be on2 Ch 16-bit integer 48.0 kHz and it is now showing sound levels on the mic, hope this also helps others who come across this issue.

Thank you for waiting.

With regard to your enquiry, please be informed that there are no drivers for Mac system. Your webcam generally only works as a plug and play in Mac.

We have tested the webcam on our Mac with High Sierra and everything works fine.

Please to check the following:

1. The default recording device is selected as the webcam. Also the app that you're using with the camera may not be in sync with Mac settings hence do check on that as well.

> From the Mac sound settings, check the input level as shown in the screenshot to check that it is working as per normal. From the screenshot, it is working. We used the app Photobooth to confirm the functionality of the mic as well.

Webcam audio has gone since High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.