Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Save Title Clips

Hi.

iMovie Version: 10.6.1

Mac Version : Sierra: 10.12.6

I am trying to save text clips to either iMovie library or events for future use.

- I use the same font and format title clips for many movies and I need to always make one small edit depending on the name of the person who will be in the clip

- I go to titles

- select the one I want - put the text in

- I then want to save this editable text title clip to use and slightly edit in future videos

I cannot figure out how to do this.

Thank you!

iMovie 10

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 10:40 AM

Hi,

Create a new project named Titles/Text. Put a black background in the timeline and make it, say, 1 minute in duration. Then go back to your original project and select the title/text you have made in the timeline, do an Edit/Copy of the title, and then Edit/Paste it into the Titles/Text project above the black background. You can do that with as many titles as you want and save them all in the Titles/Text project as a library of titles. When you want to access the titles for a new project, go back to the Titles/Text project and select the title you want, do an Edit/Copy of the title, and then do an Edit/Paste of the title into the new project where you can make your edit to it.

-- Rich

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2017 10:40 AM in response to LizLiz6

Hi,

Create a new project named Titles/Text. Put a black background in the timeline and make it, say, 1 minute in duration. Then go back to your original project and select the title/text you have made in the timeline, do an Edit/Copy of the title, and then Edit/Paste it into the Titles/Text project above the black background. You can do that with as many titles as you want and save them all in the Titles/Text project as a library of titles. When you want to access the titles for a new project, go back to the Titles/Text project and select the title you want, do an Edit/Copy of the title, and then do an Edit/Paste of the title into the new project where you can make your edit to it.

-- Rich

Nov 14, 2017 2:55 PM in response to LizLiz6

O.K. You need to be working with the titles themselves, that you copy and paste from and to your library project and your current project. Maybe this screen shot of the Library/Text project will help to illustrate:

User uploaded file

See how the titles are all lined up for use in the timeline. All you have to do is select one in the timeline and Edit/Copy it and then go back to your current project and Edit/Paste it in. It will be a live title that you can

edit. For ease of storage you can keep the titles in the Library/Text project fairly short because

you can stretch them out once you paste them into your current project. Likewise you can copy and

paste titles from the timeline of your current project, and then paste them into your Library/Text project for

future use. You don't need to "save" anything because projects in iMovie automatically save themselves. You

are in effect "saving" the titles by placing them in the Library/Text project.

Hope this helps.

-- Rich

Nov 14, 2017 2:29 PM in response to LizLiz6

Hi. Rich. Thank you so much. I think I am doing something really dumb. I made the 1min title with the text from backgrounds. But I seem unable to save it in title form. I only seem able to do so if I download it into a video form which means I cannot edit in the future.

These are the exact steps I am doing

- open iMovie

- I go to projects tab

- Click Create New +

- Click back on "Projects" where I can edit the name

- Name it Titles-Credits

- It shows up under "Project Media" at the top

- I click to the titles tab - choose the "centered" one which is what I use and enter format text

- make it 1 minute - which is how long I will keep it

This is where I get stuck - once it is there I cannot save it into anything on iMovie for future projects.

- I also cannot move it from there to library. It stays under "project media"

Thank you

iMovie Save Title Clips

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.