Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sleep mode, 10.9.5

Hello again!

My wonderful iMac refuses the sleep mode.

On the firs attempt it sleeps 2 - 3 hours, then wakes up and refuses to sleep again.

I have to switch it off...:(

Can´t upgrade because all my musical equipment must be renewed then, i´m to poor...

Thanx for helping, Olaf

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2017 6:14 AM

Reset the SMC, as per > How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Disconnect your external devices one at a time and test it to see if any of those are disturbing sleep.

16 replies

Nov 26, 2017 4:54 AM in response to den.thed

Hi den.thed

Sleep mode is back on the planet, so far.

Wanna let you know.

Allan A. suggested:

Failure

Hello applekillsmyfun.

If I'm understanding correctly, you are having some trouble with the sleep feature of the iMac. I will be happy to help.

Take a look at the following article to see if it helps: If your Mac doesn‘t sleep or wake when expected

Cheers.

So i opened the activity monitor, did nothing but watching, put it in the dock and sent my baby to sleep.

It slept and does so since 2 and a half days.

To me this is comletely unreal and not logic at all but what the…

So greetz again thanx and see ya later!!

Olaf

Nov 13, 2017 8:10 AM in response to applekillsmyfun

applekillsmyfun wrote:

My mac is off power every night.

off power, as in Shutdown from the Apple menu...?

or

off power, as in unplugged or switch off from the outlet...?

There is no need to remove the power from your iMac unless you are servicing it, worried about a lighting storm or something of that nature.

Personally I sleep my Mac's 24-7 and never have any issues. I only shut them down, when I go away for more than 2 days and only unplug them for service and electrical storms.

Nov 13, 2017 9:30 AM in response to den.thed

I have a main switch to cut everything, as there is amplifier and music devices.

It´s a 1 room flat, don´t like the lights at night.

does this affekt our discussion??

I now pulled the plug on the mac as they said at support, we´ll see if that resets something.

It used to work and sleep properly when i bought it but since almost 2 years.... no sleep....

Is there cocaine apps??

Nov 13, 2017 10:13 AM in response to applekillsmyfun

Switching off the power can disrupted the iMac's internal System Management Controller.

I would suggest,

1. Resetting the SMC again.

2. Plug the Mac's power cord in before the main switch, so that it always has continuous power.

2. At night, shut the iMac down using the Shutdown menu and switch off the other devices.

3. In the morning, startup the iMac and switch on the other devices.

Then I would test it like that for a few days and see if that cures the problem.

I believe that you are referring to Caffeine.... and NO that will not help you with this problem.

Nov 16, 2017 6:20 AM in response to applekillsmyfun

Hello Mr. den.thed!

It´s a miracle to me but your suggestions seem to work!

After almost 2 years of struggeling, and the answer seemes so easy.

Or did you send some secret codes underneath??

Thank you!!!

I tried to value these answers, hope you make tons of points...:)

I leave a link to my youtube channel, if you like. The 1st is in english...

All the Best from Cologne!!

Olaf

Sleep mode, 10.9.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.