Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old photos showing as new?

When I connect my iPhone and launch Photos I get about 50 pictures that always show as "new" when they are years old and I cannot figure out how to correct this. If I select the pix then Photos thinks I want to import them but I'd rather select them to designate them as not new.

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 9:04 AM

5 replies

Nov 13, 2017 2:28 PM in response to Anthony Adams

Hello, Anthony Adams.

It's my understanding that Photos is seeing 50 photos that are old but showing up as new whenever you connect your iPhone. I may be able to help with this. Are these photos already transferred or imported to your Mac? If not, then this is expected behavior from Photos. Even though the photos on the iPhone are old, the Photos App on the Mac sees them as new photos since they aren't saved on the Mac.

If this isn't the case, try seeing if the issue happens with another user on the Mac:

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Let us know and we'll go from there.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Nov 14, 2017 12:13 PM in response to i_rina

Yes, the photos I see have already been imported. Years ago, in fact. I followed the steps listed in the link you provided (I did not have a second user, so I created one) and connected my iPhones, launched Photos and Imported all that it would import (it was not the same group of photos that led me to ask this question) and I could not duplicate the issue. The link you provided does address what to do if the issue does not duplicate itself but since I am not receiving any error messages when this Photo issue occurs, I'm not quite sure what to do next.

Nov 19, 2017 7:17 AM in response to i_rina

I've tried again after a few days and the same photos that always appear to need importing still show as needing importing when I know they're already a part of Photos.

The link you provided and the steps I followed seemed to only make one thing different: when viewing my photos on my iPhone, the photos are no longer in chronological order. Photos from 15 years ago appear as if I just took them yesterday and I cannot find a way to view them by date on my iPhone.

Nov 19, 2017 8:13 AM in response to Anthony Adams

Are you using iCloud Photo Library on your iPhone, Anthony?

Have the fifty photos been edited or have filters applied? The iOS 11 upgrade turned photos into new photos, if the photos had the old camera filters (Chrome, Instant, etc.) applied, because Photos on iOS 11 does no longer have these filters and needs to save the photos with old filters applied as new photos.

Old photos showing as new?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.