Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Unable to update to WatchOS 4.1

I own three Apple watches: a series 3 and two series 2’s. I have been able to upgrade the WatchOS to version 4.1 on two of the watches. But I can’t get one of the series 2’s to update. Originally I would get an error message on my iPhone saying it failed because I wasn’t connected to the internet. I rebooted the phone and now it just hangs at a screen that says “checking for update.” I’ve restarted the watch and phone several times. The devices are near each other and the watch is on a charger.

Any advice?

Posted on

Page content loaded

Nov 12, 2017 9:29 AM in response to Kevin McCormick In response to Kevin McCormick

Hi

First update your iPhone to the latest version of iOS, which is currently iOS 11.1.1 (start by making a backup):

Update the iOS software on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Then update your Apple Watch by following the remaining steps here, including under "If you need help updating":

Update your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Nov 12, 2017 9:29 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 12, 2017 9:47 AM in response to Jonathan UK In response to Jonathan UK

I have the latest version of iOS installed. I have tried every tip you pointed to. I have done them all except for deleting the WatchOS software from my phone. The phone hangs before I get to that point.

Nov 12, 2017 9:47 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 12, 2017 9:49 AM in response to Kevin McCormick In response to Kevin McCormick

In that case, I suggest that you unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch, choosing to Restore from Backup if preferred during set up. The software will be updated as part of the process:

Nov 12, 2017 9:49 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 12, 2017 10:25 AM in response to Jonathan UK In response to Jonathan UK

I had a feeling that was going to be the next step. I was hoping to avoid it.

If I choose to restore from backup, how likely am I to get back to this place where it hangs? If I don't restore from backup, what do I lose, beside my Apple Pay info?

Nov 12, 2017 10:25 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Kevin McCormick

Question: Unable to update to WatchOS 4.1