Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home WiFi Issues w/ AirPort Time Capsule + AirPort Extreme

Comcast is our internet provider and I've owned a single AirPort Time Capsule for some time. It's worked as our home Wi-Fi up to this point (as well as backing up main computer). Wanted to extend our home network coverage. Recently purchased a AirPort Time Capsule and placed it downstairs (simply plugged in to power). Since that time we get "No Wi-Fi Connection" messages at times on our iPhone's, iPad's, etc. This never happened before. Kids Xbox One chat functions don't work since this Time Capsule addition as well (also never had issues before). Hoping someone smarter than me can shed some light on this with some tips or tricks 🙂 Thank you!

iMac, iOS 5

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 9:47 AM

5 replies

Nov 12, 2017 10:45 AM in response to Ryan Sawyer1

Thanks for answering my questions.

For clarification:

• The Arris TM722 will be called the "modem."
  • The newer TC will be TC#1. This will be your "main" router/base station.
  • The older TC will be TC#2. This will be your "extending" base station.

Let's start simple. I would like for you to first read through the following steps BEFORE performing any of them:

1. Power-down the modem, and both TCs. The order that you power them down doesn't matter.
  2. Perform a "factory default" reset on both TCs. Leave them powered-down when completed.
  3. Verify that there is a "known good" Ethernet cable connected between the modem and the WAN (circle-of-dots) port on the TC#1.
  4. Power-up the modem. Wait at least 5-10 minutes to allow the modem to initialize.
  5. Power-up TC#1. Wait at least 5 minutes to allow it to initialize. Note that the LED status light may continue to slowly blink amber. That is just letting us know that some additional settings will be required to complete its setup.
  6. Using your iMac, click on the Wi-Fi icon in the top menu bar. The Time Capsule should show up as a "new" base station. Select it, and the AirPort Utility should start up.
  7. Go through the automated steps to set up TC#1 as you wireless router. Once the setup has completed, allow the TC to restart.
  8. Using your iMac, connect to the TC by wireless or by Ethernet, and verify that you can get Internet access.
  9. Stop. Don't setup TC#2 yet until you verify step 8 is working.

OK, any questions about the steps that I provided you? If not, go ahead and give them a try.

Nov 12, 2017 10:02 AM in response to Ryan Sawyer1

I can't guarantee that I would be "smarter" but I can certainly try to help. 😉

Let's start with few questions about each of your networking hardware:

• What is the make & model for the Comcast-provided modem?
  • What is the exact model of your older Time Capsule (TC)?
  • I am assuming the new TC is an 802.11ac model ... correct?

Is your networking goals:

• To leave the older TC connected to the modem?
  • Use the newer TC to extend that TC using a wireless connection between them?
  • To have a "single" Wi-Fi network which mobile wireless clients can roam throughout the house and still be on that same network?

Nov 12, 2017 10:27 AM in response to Tesserax

Thank you for your response. When I go into AirPort Utility it says Time Capsule was previously part of network, then it lights up green again, then back to can't find, etc. Same with newer AirPort Extreme. Starting to think I shouldn't have tried to extend network 🙂 Here are some of the details:

Comcast modem is a Arris TM722.

Older TimeCapsule/Time Machine is 802.11ac version 7.78.

New AirPort Extreme is 802.11ac version 7.78.

My goal is to leave the older TimeCapsule/Machine connected to modem and use the newer AirPort Extreme to extend our wireless network so it has more coverage and is stronger. It's supporting families iPhones, some Sono's speakers from time-to-time and kids Xbox One gaming from time-to-time.

Home WiFi Issues w/ AirPort Time Capsule + AirPort Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.