Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I wait to activate a new iPhone?

I ordered an iPhone 8+ online for my son and picked up the phone at the Apple Store. Throughout the pickup process, the salesperson and I talked at great length about this phone's being a Christmas gift and how the 8 and X would be huge holiday sellers. (They're certainly being marketed as such!) As I was leaving the store he chased me down to say, "Don't forget -- the old phone will deactivate in 30 days, on December 7." WHAT? Had I known that I would've waited another month to purchase the phone. Why does this happen? If I purchase a phone outright, I should be able to never activate it if I choose to. So why should I be told I have a limited time to activate? And are people aware that their Christmas gifts purchased early (in order to prevent a sold-out situation) must now become a Thanksgiving gift? Is this only true for Verizon? Or all carriers? Apple sent me to Verizon who sent me back to Apple. But they both said nothing could be done. Anyone else have this issue? Any thoughts on what can be done? Thanks!

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 9:32 AM

5 replies

Nov 12, 2017 9:41 AM in response to kego

You have 14 days to return the iPhone. Do so and order again.

Was your iPhone tied to some upgrade program from Verizon?

I cannot address what happened at the Apple store you used as

pickup location, but when I picked up my iPhone X the Apple

employee offered me the choice to activate it then or not - I

chose not to activate at that time with no problem. Yes, the X

will replace my current iPhone 3G on that number but there

was a problem with my wireless provider (not Verizon) that had to

be rectified before activation.

Nov 12, 2017 9:48 AM in response to kego

I purchased one as well with the same carrier for my child with Tmobile

The former Sim will deactivate at a certain date as a new Sim will go into the new phone. Plus, my plans will be different.

This is info given to me, which makes sense in my scenario

My plans/activation dates will cross over though as I paid current plan bill a month in advance.

If just bought, ask if they can extend the current phone/plan or put off new activation date for one you specify or close to.

I had a carrier do this for me years ago. I just told my son I wasn't sure why service was down on his for a few days when old phone deactivated.

Can I wait to activate a new iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.