Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I remove a directory the system thinks is not empty? OSX 10.12

I have a directory in the trash that cannot be deleted and it has no files in it. How can I force delete it?

The system under Terminal complains the directory is not empty, but no files appear there. On the GUI, it complains another program is using the directory, but nothing is running.

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 9:23 AM

Yes, it survived many restarts. Of course I used every option I knew, including option-delete in the finder. I am not a Unix novice. My techie son says it might have been a read/write error (the folder was on a micro-sd card) used in a camera. We solved the problem by re-formatting the card on my son's pc (My mac laptop wouldn't do it, Disk Utility would not dismount the drive), re-inserting the card into the camera, and letting the camera complete the re-format process. That cleared the device.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2017 9:23 AM in response to CT

Yes, it survived many restarts. Of course I used every option I knew, including option-delete in the finder. I am not a Unix novice. My techie son says it might have been a read/write error (the folder was on a micro-sd card) used in a camera. We solved the problem by re-formatting the card on my son's pc (My mac laptop wouldn't do it, Disk Utility would not dismount the drive), re-inserting the card into the camera, and letting the camera complete the re-format process. That cleared the device.

how do I remove a directory the system thinks is not empty? OSX 10.12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.