Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Disconnecting iMac from Airport Extreme

I need to disconnect a 2010 iMac from 2010 Airport Extreme and then connect a new iMac to the same Airport without shutting down the network. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

VIN, iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Nov 13, 2017 11:50 AM in response to abeautifulblue In response to abeautifulblue

Hi,

Thanks very much for answering! Not sure yet on wired v.s. wireless unless there is an advantage of one way over the other. That being said, how would I go about powering down the Airport? After all this time I still do not feel at all comfortable messing about with Airport. As always, help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Nov 12, 2017 11:20 AM in response to abeautifulblue In response to abeautifulblue

Shutdown the network first to be sure the new computer properly connects. You will want to be sure the new computer's Network setup is the same as on the old computer including the Computer Name set in Sharing preferences.

Nov 12, 2017 11:20 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 12, 2017 11:26 AM in response to abeautifulblue In response to abeautifulblue

Will you be connecting the new iMac to the AirPort by wire or by wireless? If by wireless, you do not need to power-down the base station.

If by wire, you should power it down BEFORE switching or removing Ethernet cables.

Nov 12, 2017 11:26 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 13, 2017 11:50 AM in response to abeautifulblue In response to abeautifulblue

Hi,

Thanks very much for answering! Not sure yet on wired v.s. wireless unless there is an advantage of one way over the other. That being said, how would I go about powering down the Airport? After all this time I still do not feel at all comfortable messing about with Airport. As always, help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Nov 13, 2017 11:50 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Nov 13, 2017 12:05 PM in response to Kappy In response to Kappy

Thanks for your response.

Is it possible to set up the new Mac connecting to the older existing Airport but with a separate I.D.? If not, am I better off getting a new Airport for the new Mac? Can two Airports co-exist? I don't want the new Mac transferring anything from the older Mac.

Nov 13, 2017 12:05 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 13, 2017 12:45 PM in response to abeautifulblue In response to abeautifulblue

how would I go about powering down the Airport?

Remove the power cord from the back of the AirPort.

Then, plug the power cord back into the back of the AirPort when you want to power the AirPort back up.

Nov 13, 2017 12:45 PM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: abeautifulblue

Question: Disconnecting iMac from Airport Extreme