Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a disability that is impossible for me to use a physical keyboard, so I have a onscreen keyboard. My question is how do you get a onscreen keyboard on the log in screen or how can I tell Apple to add the feature for the disabled?

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 12:04 PM

3 replies

Nov 16, 2017 6:28 AM in response to Joshmon27

I've asked for this in the past, bought an mbp hoping that touch id would work but no, you need to log in first. I've contacted the Accessibility team at Apple and requested it. Do you use the public beta? If so use feedback assistant to let them know there is more than me wanting it.

Until then keep giving your password to your carers!

Nov 16, 2017 10:19 AM in response to Gizmo-__

I have seen Teamviewer used to login to the mac from an iPad or iPhone. Once logged in, and all your services are up, you can start using them directly on the Mac.

You need to be able to interact with your iPhone so you can enter the login details etc. Where I saw it done the person used a mouth stick on his iPhone, which was mounted to his chair, to enter his login details, then once his head mouse fired up he could interact with the mac directly.

And no need to give passwords to carers.

Nov 16, 2017 10:38 AM in response to ak1956

I'm sure it could be done but Apple need to solve it. To get to use my iphone or ipad I'd have to get my carer to set up the holding stand, pass me my mouthstick, set up the phone or pad to my head, login to the mac, pack away my mouthstick and iphone/stand, once logged in I can use touch id but the distance I have MBP away from me is further than my arm will reach so carer has to move laptop, pickup my arm, use touch id which doesn't work so well with someone else moving your hand then get my laptop positioned again. It is far simpler just to give my carer the password.

I could auto login thus not having the carer know password but which is the least secure?

There should be the ability to launch a keyboard at startup.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.