Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer Information from older to brand new MBP.

There is nothing wrong with my 11,3 2014 MBP. It was purchased CTO directly from Apple fully configured with all available upgrades at the time when purchased with Apple Care which is still in effect.

I want to give it one of our children who's recently damaged his 9 yr old MBP that is not worth repairing. I intend to purchase another current 14,3 2017 MBP with equal or greater storage. Both machines will be be running on the same version macOS when I attempt the data swap.

Question is can I really, really rely on the Migration Assistant to bring-over every last bit of data, passwords, applications, system and network setup information in including third-party applications, license keys, video, pictures, etc.; absolutely everything before I hand over the machine?

If so will I be able to find it easily and can the average user who's never done a macBook to macBook data swap accomplish it without expert assistance? Where are/what are the pitfalls? What will I find out after doing this that I was not expecting or isn't where it was before and I can't find it....if anything? What should I watch out for or do in advance to minimize the hangover when I don't have access to the old MacBook.

Any sage advice in about this would be greatly appreciated. Also direction to any real good on line sources of information or suggestions about alternate approaches to this would be greatly appreciated. I could not find any really comprehensive information searching Apple Support. This is all about mac to mac. I have no need for all the advice published out there for transferring data from a pc or mac to pc. Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), Mid 2014, 11,3 -i7, 2.8GHz, 1TB ssd

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 3:03 PM

Use Setup Assistant:

.Pondini's OSX Tips -- Setting-up a new Mac from an old one, its Backups, or a PC

These articles were written by the late James Pond. Just use the ones for the latest version he mentions and you will be fine. Not much has changed since he wrote them.

2 replies

Nov 12, 2017 4:01 PM in response to joelfromroswell

Hi,

Yes, you can use Setup Assistant or Migration Assistant to do the transfer and there is no reason it shouldn't transfer everything, except many application "keys/activation codes." Office is one example. You'll need the key/code after the migration, just like you would installing it from scratch. This is not a shortfall of SA/MA. There is no special expertise needed, it should all be automatic.

After the transfer, do follow the directions here to prepare your Mac before giving it to your child: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

Transfer Information from older to brand new MBP.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.