Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

who is hacking my wifi network

Internet speeds vary widely. During the day, no problems at all. Most nights it slows to a crawl, followed by normal speed, then lost connection. I've reset the router several times and while it helps initially the problems return. I fear someone may be hacking my wifi network. What is the safest way to check? Router is linked to our Time Capsule.

Other users on same Macbook can run

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 12:27 PM

Who is your ISP .. where in the world are you.. what make and model is the modem?

This is very typical issue in Australia where I am .. due to Netflix.. it is now called the Netflix Effect. So many people are streaming that all the backhaul is full. Speeds take a dive.

Even disconnecting is possible due to noise in the lines for ADSL or VDSL. The modem will sync at slower speed to compensate. But it will still go slow.

If you set wifi to WPA2 Personal security with a decent password.. say 12 random characters.. you are pretty unlikely to be hacked. I could say impossible a month ago but there is a weakness now called KRACK. However it is a man in the middle type.. a person must live within wifi range of your home, and be able to capture devices when they exchange passwords. So if you live in normal housing estate this is very unlikely. In apartment building with lots of people around you .. the chances increase but not by much. It is also note a weakness in the client not the router unless you are using extend wireless. It is most pronounced in Android OS.. so remove anything that is running Android until you patch it. Of course you should also patch all the other computers and devices ASAP.

Do a simple proof test.

Plug a computer by ethernet to your main modem.. shut off everything else.. and if the modem is a router shut off its wireless.. do a speed test during terrible hours.. if it is slow.. as I suspect it will be.. your wifi is fine. It is ISP issue. Buy internet from a better (more expensive) supplier. Or in the case of Australia.. pray for a government with people who don't live in the previous century. It is inherent in the infrastructure that it grinds to a halt under high demand.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2017 12:27 PM in response to nikdanger

Who is your ISP .. where in the world are you.. what make and model is the modem?

This is very typical issue in Australia where I am .. due to Netflix.. it is now called the Netflix Effect. So many people are streaming that all the backhaul is full. Speeds take a dive.

Even disconnecting is possible due to noise in the lines for ADSL or VDSL. The modem will sync at slower speed to compensate. But it will still go slow.

If you set wifi to WPA2 Personal security with a decent password.. say 12 random characters.. you are pretty unlikely to be hacked. I could say impossible a month ago but there is a weakness now called KRACK. However it is a man in the middle type.. a person must live within wifi range of your home, and be able to capture devices when they exchange passwords. So if you live in normal housing estate this is very unlikely. In apartment building with lots of people around you .. the chances increase but not by much. It is also note a weakness in the client not the router unless you are using extend wireless. It is most pronounced in Android OS.. so remove anything that is running Android until you patch it. Of course you should also patch all the other computers and devices ASAP.

Do a simple proof test.

Plug a computer by ethernet to your main modem.. shut off everything else.. and if the modem is a router shut off its wireless.. do a speed test during terrible hours.. if it is slow.. as I suspect it will be.. your wifi is fine. It is ISP issue. Buy internet from a better (more expensive) supplier. Or in the case of Australia.. pray for a government with people who don't live in the previous century. It is inherent in the infrastructure that it grinds to a halt under high demand.

who is hacking my wifi network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.