Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is ‘jabber’ in iMessage app

Maybe this has been there ages and I only just noticed it but on my Mac in the iMessage app I can see in bottom left ‘jabber - offline’. What on earth is it? At first I thought my user name had been hijiacked or some rogue contact called Jabber was in my contacts. baffled by it‘s presence. I only use iMessage, this jabber seems like some extra non useful fluff. Does everyone have it on their mac accounts?

cheers, Wayne

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2015), macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 12:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 1:39 PM

Hi,

The app is called Messages.

The Main account in High Sierra is the iMessages one.

The version is called version 13.

However 1 to 6 were iChat versions that ended in Lion (OS X 10.7.x)

By that time the app had gone from being an AIM Client with a Bonjour account as well to having Jabber and Yahoo abilities as well.

Yahoo was text only and stopped around Yosemite as well

AS has been stated Google Talk used a Jabber server (So did Facebook for a while)

Yahoo closed their Yahoo app and rewrote it which is why the Mac Messages version no longer connected.

AIM have stopped Client apps connecting and will be discontinuing the service as a whole in December (A long standing agreement with AIM used to Allow Apple Issued Apple IDs to be valid AIM Screen Names (@Mac.com @me.com if linked to iCloud and @iCloud.com IDs) )

Bonjour also present for Mac to Mac connections on the same LAN has also disappeared in the High Sierra version.

A Google ID in System Preferences > Internet accounts used to have a Messages option that you could turn on as well but in High Sierra you have to set up a separate Messages account in Internet Accounts.

User uploaded file

9:39 pm Monday; November 13, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 11.x and an iPad (2)
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2017 1:39 PM in response to Scottyboy99

Hi,

The app is called Messages.

The Main account in High Sierra is the iMessages one.

The version is called version 13.

However 1 to 6 were iChat versions that ended in Lion (OS X 10.7.x)

By that time the app had gone from being an AIM Client with a Bonjour account as well to having Jabber and Yahoo abilities as well.

Yahoo was text only and stopped around Yosemite as well

AS has been stated Google Talk used a Jabber server (So did Facebook for a while)

Yahoo closed their Yahoo app and rewrote it which is why the Mac Messages version no longer connected.

AIM have stopped Client apps connecting and will be discontinuing the service as a whole in December (A long standing agreement with AIM used to Allow Apple Issued Apple IDs to be valid AIM Screen Names (@Mac.com @me.com if linked to iCloud and @iCloud.com IDs) )

Bonjour also present for Mac to Mac connections on the same LAN has also disappeared in the High Sierra version.

A Google ID in System Preferences > Internet accounts used to have a Messages option that you could turn on as well but in High Sierra you have to set up a separate Messages account in Internet Accounts.

User uploaded file

9:39 pm Monday; November 13, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 11.x and an iPad (2)

What is ‘jabber’ in iMessage app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.