Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have reconfigured my airport time machine as an extension of my wifi network... now I am not able to use it as a backup device?

After setting up my wifi with a new Airport Extreme as a base unit with 2 Airport express units I decided to reconfigure my Airport time capsule as an extension also. I was able to do that but now I can't access my backup data on the time capsule. When trying to use it as a backup I get the message to see my Administrator.... I am the only user and the administrator of my iMac....

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 2:17 PM

3 replies

Nov 12, 2017 2:37 PM in response to Glenn Jr

Apple DNS is not great.. if the iMac does not connect directly to the TC by ethernet or wifi it has issues finding it.

My recommendation is to make sure the TC is close as possible to the iMac so it works via wifi from the TC.. or use ethernet direct to the TC.

You can probably get it going no matter how complicated the network by correctly restarting the network.. shut down everything.. boot in order.

Modem.. wait 2min

Extreme.. wait 2 min

Express and TC.. wait 2min

Computer.. it should pickup the TC but the same sequence will be need on a daily basis.. due to as noted.. poor DNS discovery.

Nov 12, 2017 6:48 PM in response to LaPastenague

1st of all let me say I have not tried what you are suggesting yet....

My modem is an Arris TM1602

Airport time Capsule is Model A1470 ME182LL/A 802.11AC 3TB Has updated firmware 7.7.8

Airport Extreme is Model A1521 ME918LL/A 802.11AC Has updated firmware 7.7.8

Both Airport Express are Model A1392 MC414LL/A

When using AirPort Utility I see a solid line from Internet to Airport Extreme and dotted lines to the 2 Express units and my old Airport Time Capsule....

The Time Capsule currently is sitting onside of the Airport Extreme....

When trying is access Time Capsule for backup it has me enter the password so I believe it can see it on the network but then tells me to see my Administrator and will not use it as a backup.

I tried the cable hookup from Extreme to Time Capsule. Airport utility then had a solid line from the Extreme to the Time Capsule.... I still got the same message....???

I have reconfigured my airport time machine as an extension of my wifi network... now I am not able to use it as a backup device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.