Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I find deleted text messages on an iphone

How can I find deleted text messages (or the number they came from) on an iPhone 7

Restoring this device is not an option

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 2:23 PM

Once you have deleted a message on the iPhone it is gone. There is only one way to recover messages, and that is to restore the phone to a backup that contained the message. Given your statement that a restore is not an option, then the message is gone, and there is no way of recovering it, nor the number it was sent from.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2017 2:23 PM in response to missd1947

Once you have deleted a message on the iPhone it is gone. There is only one way to recover messages, and that is to restore the phone to a backup that contained the message. Given your statement that a restore is not an option, then the message is gone, and there is no way of recovering it, nor the number it was sent from.

Nov 12, 2017 2:28 PM in response to missd1947

A restore is all or none. If you have a backup of the phone from when the message was on the device, then if you restore, it restores the phone to that point. Everything that was on the phone at that point is restored. It is like taking the phone back to that day and time. The only thing lost is anything done since that backup. That is why regular backups are crucial, so you minimize the risk of losing anything. For instance, my iPhone is backed up to iCloud daily. If I was to delete something right now that I truly needed, if I restored, the only thing I would lose is what was done today.

I'm worried you may not understand about backups and restore if you are asking about wiping the whole phone.

how can I find deleted text messages on an iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.