Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting hard drive to apfs?

Why can't I convert my hard drive to the new APFS format when my second partition is an NTFS bootcamp?

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 3:14 PM

16 replies

Nov 12, 2017 3:33 PM in response to PokemonFan1987

More than optimized, APFS does not work properly on HDDs or Fusion Drives. Only use it on SSDs, if at all. APFS is not a "finished" component. Its completion will be down the road in an update/upgrade.

VP of Software Engineering Dives into APFS

Can APFS be used with Time Machine, Boot Camp, and File Vault?

Prepare for APFS in macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

Nov 22, 2017 11:43 AM in response to cwong668

You were asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement when signing up for the beta program. Read the following to find out how you get help as a seed test participant:

CUSTOMER SEED AND CONFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT

OSX Beta Program FAQs>

The NDA prohibits you from discussing software beta issues here or anywhere else. The two documents above describe how to submit problem reports to Apple.

Nov 13, 2017 4:09 AM in response to PokemonFan1987

As a Beta tester my hard drive as already been updated to the new APFS file system now I can't update to High Sierra because that will only install on the old system, how about that then - Thanks Apple. Did Apple make another update for us to install NO we are left out and what about security updates forth coming can I still install them or will they be for the new software, I do not know. There is a way I could convert my hard drive back but from what I read its making boot drive deleting hard drive formatting so complicated I could see me missing something and ending up with a bricked drive so thats out for me. So as I was a Beta tester I can now never update my system thats crap Apple should have thought of this and made an upgrade that would install on their new file system, but NO the update is for the old file system only.

Thanks Apple the new file system as proved to be my down fall, no High Sierra for me and many others I bet who have found out it just freezes the install just before the end. Am I happy err NO

Peter

Nov 22, 2017 8:43 AM in response to KiltedTim

Oh well probably from a lot of others like me who clicking on update have caused so many problems and even trying to get back to restore mode was a real pain. At this moment in time I am on 10.12.6 and after trying twice and having the upgrade freeze and losing my iMac for days I am not so sure the upgrade works. So it's either 10.12.6 or the fact I have a standard hard drive for this to happen.

All I know is upgrade as is will not load !

Converting hard drive to apfs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.