Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos app in High Sierra producing unreadable movie files

I recently purchased an iPhone 7 an am running iOS 11.11.1. The original movie files it produces are not being recognised as importable by either FCPX or Quicktime 7 . My normal workflow in FCPX starts with copying the movie files from Photos master files,"Show PAkage contents" putting them in a separate folder, then importing them to FCPX. The Import Media window on FCPX shows the movie, but only as greyed out. When I try to open the movie in Quicktime 7 for a quick overview I receive a "file format not recognised " type error message, a suggestion to take me to a page that might permit importing this file format - but the page on Apple's site is not found.

If I export the movie in photos - to an m4v format, there is no problem opening it in either program.

Anyone have any thoughts? I have been using an iPhone 4s for almost 8 years and have never had any problems using/seeing the movies it creates and stores in Photos

thnaks

John

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), intel core duo 2,2 GhZ 8GB ram

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 3:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 6:34 PM

Hi, John,

The troublesome movies are probably in the new HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding) format. Your iPhone 7 by default would export in HEVC. Your version of FCPX does not appear to be recognizing that format. HEVC 4K would be particularly problematic. If you go into your iPhone 7 settings and change the export option from HEVC to "most compatible", you would get an H.264 codec movie that would import into FCPX just fine. Also, I see that your computer is 2013. Computers mid 2015 or older do not support 4K HEVC in the Photos app. If these are 4K vids, reduce the resolution to full hi def 1080.

You might find the info in this thread to be of help, particularly the posts by Léonie:

Re: Getting a "Full Resolution Not Supported" Error

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2017 6:34 PM in response to John Fountain

Hi, John,

The troublesome movies are probably in the new HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding) format. Your iPhone 7 by default would export in HEVC. Your version of FCPX does not appear to be recognizing that format. HEVC 4K would be particularly problematic. If you go into your iPhone 7 settings and change the export option from HEVC to "most compatible", you would get an H.264 codec movie that would import into FCPX just fine. Also, I see that your computer is 2013. Computers mid 2015 or older do not support 4K HEVC in the Photos app. If these are 4K vids, reduce the resolution to full hi def 1080.

You might find the info in this thread to be of help, particularly the posts by Léonie:

Re: Getting a "Full Resolution Not Supported" Error

-- Rich

Photos app in High Sierra producing unreadable movie files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.