Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does storage optimization to iCloud not leave enough space on disk?

How do I get the storage optimization to leave a bigger margin? It constantly is running out of room even thought it is supposed to be optimizing things to the iCloud. I can't upgrade I can't sync new photos. It just runs out of space and then quits updating the cloud. This happens for every mac I have. If I delete stuff, it just moves in more stuff from the cloud to clog it up again. It happens for the iPhone as well. I have a ton of photos and I take a lot every week. I don't care about looking at all of them I just want them in the cloud for when I do want to look at them.

Also, the old iPhoto library that hangs around. Are those photos not popped back and forth to the cloud? I think that library is still required and I shouldn't delete it. Is it really a duplicate that just hogs space? Also, the applications take up a lot of space. More space than they actually take up. That space used also grows for unknown reasons.

Thanks for any advice.

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 5:02 PM

3 replies

Nov 12, 2017 5:45 PM in response to allanfromtexas

Are those photos not popped back and forth to the cloud?

If you have the iCloud Photo Library enabled, it has its own optimization settings.

How to free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

I don't care about looking at all of them I just want them in the cloud for when I do want to look at them.

Apple does not currently offer fully configurable off device storage. Your photos are synced between iCloud and your Mac, not moved to iCloud.

User uploaded file

How do I get the storage optimization to leave a bigger margin? It constantly is running out of room even thought it is supposed to be optimizing things to the iCloud.

Optimization is not configurable. It is dynamic and works on its own algorithms.

It sounds like you need to find an off device solution. Dropbox, or OneDrive etc. may be options for you. iCloud is working as designed on your Mac.

Why does storage optimization to iCloud not leave enough space on disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.