Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have ICloud...unfortunately by accident I delete my text msg. Is there not aback up for texts?

How can I back up my text msgs daily? I have ICloud and it does a back up daily. Why aren't text msgs included with the back up?

iPhone 7, iOS 11

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 4:11 PM

18 replies

Nov 13, 2017 12:28 PM in response to rebaden1101

I'm guessing that you are referring to the Home screen, since there is no screensaver on the iPhone.

Since you are seeing that, the first thing you need to do is erase the device so you end up at the Hello screen. Follow the steps in this support document first. How to erase your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

After that, you are giong to do the restore with the infomration in the other link I provided you about restoring.

Restore your device from an iCloud backup

1. Turn on your device. You should see a Hello screen. If you already set up your device, you need to erase all of its content before you can use these steps to restore from your backup.
  2. Follow the onscreen setup steps until you reach the Apps & Data screen, then tap Restore from iCloud Backup.
    User uploaded file
  3. Sign in to iCloud with your Apple ID.
  4. Choose a backup. Look at the date and size of each and pick the most relevant. After you choose, the transfer starts. If a message says that a newer version of iOS is required, follow the onscreen steps to update (If you don't see onscreen steps to help you update, learn what to do).
  5. When asked, sign in to your Apple ID account to restore your apps and purchases (If you've purchased iTunes or App Store content using multiple Apple IDs, you'll be asked to sign in to each). If you can’t remember your password, you can tap Skip this Step and sign in later.
  6. Stay connected and wait for a progress bar to appear and complete. Depending on the size of the backup and the network speed, the progress bar might need a few minutes to an hour to complete. If you disconnect from Wi-Fi too soon, the progress will pause until you reconnect.
    User uploaded file
  7. Now you can finish setup and enjoy your device. Content like your apps, photos, music, and other information will continue to restore in the background for the next several hours or days, depending on the amount of information there is. Try to connect often to Wi-Fi and power to let the process complete.

If you have trouble with the restore, see this support document for additional troubleshooting. If iCloud Backup couldn’t be completed or you can’t restore - Apple Support

Nov 13, 2017 8:44 AM in response to rebaden1101

Creating a backup now is not going to retrieve a message that you deleted. You need to have made a backup in the past, when the message was on the phone. If you have an older backup when the message was on the phone, then you restore your phone to that backup. Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support Use the appropriate section.

If you do not have a backup of the phone when the message was on the phone, then you cannot recover the message.

Nov 13, 2017 2:00 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Chris I really appreciate you trying to help me. There is an Apple Store in the city I work. I went there...they said I couldn't retrieve/restore it. They said I could erase it all but there's a chance I may not get it all back. I just give up.

Also when I accidentally delete that msg...there was nvr a red delete button. But when we played with my msgs and was going to delete a msg..the red button is there. I just don't understand what I am doing...

Again thanks for your help

Nov 13, 2017 2:17 PM in response to rebaden1101

If the Apple store told you that, I wish I would have known that before I went through all of this. Like I said in the beginning, if you didn't have a backup that was made when the message was on the device, then it cannot be recovered. Seems you must have done something that deleted the message, since there are more than one way to delete the message. With Messages open, you can delete by swiping to the left, or you can tap on Edit, select the message and tap Delete at the bottom right of the screen. Only when you swipe will you see a red button, but if you swipe far enough, you don't have to tap the red to delete. Here is a link to the iPhone User Guide. It might help you a great deal to take a look at that, and investigate any sections that may be able to provide you with more information about using the iPhone. You can also check at that Apple Store for what classes they are having in the future. They have beginning iPhone classes, and something like that may help you feel more comfortable in using the device. Good luck. Sorry we couldn't restore your message.

I have ICloud...unfortunately by accident I delete my text msg. Is there not aback up for texts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.