Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macpro Additional HD's

i have bought an early 2008 macpro. it has a 2TB Hard drive that works perfectly. i have installed a 1.5TB 3.5 inch Drive, a 500GB 2.5 sata disk attached to a spacer to fit the cradle and a 1TB 2.5 drive. when i boot up all i see is the OSX drive.

it is running El Capitan

Thanks for any advice or signposting

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 4:49 PM

8 replies

Nov 12, 2017 5:05 PM in response to maccman23

Some drives do not come pre-formatted, and if they did, they would be set up for the most popular computers out there -- Windows.

Disk Utility.app (available in the Utilities folder) lets you bridge the world between Physical drives and Mac logical Volumes.

Erase your new drives and add MacOS volumes, and you will be able to use them.

Disk Utility for macOS Sierra: Erase a volume using Disk Utility

Nov 12, 2017 8:20 PM in response to maccman23

So is the problem that they do not appear on the desktop? or in the sidebar?

Those are both configurable In Finder Preferences, and the defaults have changed in later versions of MacOS.

Or is the problem they are not seen in Disk Utility? in that case, they are not installed correctly and are not hitting the connector straight-on.

Nov 21, 2017 9:58 AM in response to maccman23

My recollection of that setup was that at least one of the two connectors at the motherboard end had to be an angled connector to allow both to fit and be reliable.

Its a SATA data cable, fairly long. Most any electronics outlet should have them available, or look online. OWC/Macsales used to sell a kit with a backplate connector included in case you want to run them out the back.

Nov 29, 2017 12:34 AM in response to maccman23

Solved!

I bought a replacement cable that powered the hard drives and we took it apart the data cable had slipped out slightly and because of the way the cable was threaded it was very tight to plug back in. When we relaid that cable we got a reassuring ‘click’ when we plugged it back in ( initially we couldn’t get it to click back in) switched the machine on and boom the drives were there and the power cable didn’t need replacing.

I believe the guy I bought it off had not been able to do what we did and just assumed it was no good and got it going by using a SuperDrive bay to install a hard drive to get it going then just shipped it on. I could now run 5 hard drives if I wanted to but will probably slip the os hard drive into a bay and put a 2nd SuperDrive back in.

Thanks for all your help

Dave

Macpro Additional HD's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.